Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjcf48

Re: Have to reconnect to the internet every time the device powers on

Jump to solution

My Roku streaming stick is already connected to a power outlet, and everytime I turn off the TV and turn it back on, the Roku stick will no connect.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Have to reconnect to the internet every time the device powers on

Jump to solution

Hi, @cjcf48

It's always great to see new users around here in the Roku Community.

We understand that you're having an issue regarding your Roku device having an intermittent connection to the network, and we'd be more than glad to assist. For this matter, we recommend following the steps below to resolve the issue:

Reset Network Connection

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.

System Restart

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

After following the troubleshooting steps below, kindly see if you see any improvements.

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Mixedbreed04
Reel Rookie

Onn Roku tv will not connect to my internet.

Jump to solution

Some one help please it’s been a week and I’ve tried everything Onn Roku tv will not connect to my internet. It stopped working out of nowhere and everything else works on my Wi-Fi

0 Kudos
Sweedio
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku keeps disconnecting from wifi

Jump to solution

I switched one TV from TV usb power to the Roku power cube. As expected it didn’t fix anything. 5v dc is 5v dc. From the looks of all the various threads all over the web on this topic, there has been an ongoing problem with Roku devices. The problem seems to be more frequent on live TV streams. Some channels just lock up, which rebooting the Roku 4K+ corrects. Some just seem to get stuck buffering and eventually complain about no internet connection, which I can workaround by killing and restarting the app, which is very annoying while trying to watch a live basketball game. I need do find a more reliable way to stream live TV if Roku can’t fix the software or provide some more definitive diagnostic methods than the standard reboot, power cube, move Roku closer or further from WiFi router.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Onn Roku tv will not connect to my internet.

Jump to solution

Hi, @Mixedbreed04

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for reaching out to us for support, and we'd be more than willing to assist. We recommend performing the steps below to resolve the issue.

Reset Network Connection:

1. Press Home  on your Roku remote
  3. Select Advanced system settings
  4. Select Network connection reset
  5. Select Reset connection

System Restart

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

Additionally, you can perform a system restart on your modem/router. Further, we also recommend trying to connect to a hotspot to see if you're able to maintain a connection.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Sweedio wrote:

5v dc is 5v dc.

You couldn't be more wrong.  5VDC may be 5VDC, but 500mA isn't 1A.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Sweedio
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My statement may have been less than complete, but I am not wrong.  Since Roku installation instructions indicate that TV USB is a power supply option for the Express 4K+ if no red light when connected. I assumed that their engineering team did some research on standard USB output supply capabilities with respect to the device requirements or they shouldn't indicate TV USB as a viable option. In any case I followed the suggestion rather than research the specified usb output amperage capacity for my specific TVs or the Roku device input requirement, which I don't see on the device or in the instructions. My Roku devices have the same performance issues regardless of whether they are connected to TV's USB or the Roku-supplied power cube. So are you trying to tell me that the Roku cube may also not capable of supplying enough amperage either? Should a try a non-Roku 5Vdc 2 Amp powercube?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Sweedio, I've always thought that the cheap USB power adapters were Roku device's Achilles heel.  It's compounded by the fact that many people think they're all the same and plugging a Roku device into any old USB port should work.  I just looked at the Express 4k+ Quick Start Guide and it makes no mention of power requirements other than to say that if you see a red light, you should switch to the supplied power adapter.  The product description does state, "Power input:  5V 1A".  I doubt many people have any idea what the specifications as far as output current is on their TVs' USB ports  A USB port is a USB port, right?

At least the Express 4k+ comes with what should be an adequate power adapter.  The regular Express doesn't and its QSG doesn't even state what's required.

In my own experience, I probably have a dozen or more USB power adapter/chargers and I can say that some are just "better" than others and I'd never trust the specifications written on the adapter.  I've seen too many no-name adapters that can't meet their specifications.

So... every time I see strange problems with the Roku devices that rely on a cheap power adapter, I immediately suspect it.  Will changing it help?  Who knows, but assuming it's not the problem is a mistake.

If you have multiple Roku devices that show network issues, then it's not as likely to be a power supply problem, but it still doesn't hurt to try a different one.  My experience is probably like a lot of others - Roku devices just seem to have more connection issues than any other devices I've ever owned which is why I generally use wired connections whenever possible.

P.S. - Let's not give the Roku "engineering team" too much credit.  😉

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
LatoyaSB

Jump to solution

My Roku TV will not connect to the house Wi-Fi but if I Hotspot from my phone it will connect and I can watch my  streaming services. What does this mean? Every other device including my FireTV connects and works without any issues. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @LatoyaSB

It's our pleasure to welcome you here in the Roku Community.

Thank you for informing us about the network issue you're experiencing with your Roku TV. We want you to know that we are here to assist you. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps we provided earlier in this thread? Additionally, we suggest restarting your modem/router to see if it resolves the issue.

Keep us posted, and we'll assist you further.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.