Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

[Solved by future update] Roku TV |Network Connection Issues After OS Update

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We have received reports that some users with Roku TV are experiencing difficulty connecting to their home network following a recent OS update.

Update (July 18th): We've identified the problem and expect a fix in a future update.

In the meantime, we recommend performing a factory resetHere’s how:

1. Locate the reset button on your Roku device, which is usually on the back or bottom.

2. Ensure your Roku TV is powered on.

3. Press and hold the reset button for exactly 10 seconds.

4. Watch for a fast-blinking light, indicating that the reset is in progress.

5. Once the light blinks at a normal rate, release the button.

Update: 7/16 - Under investigation

You can attempt the following steps using your remote control to trigger an automatic restart of your Roku device:

• Press the Home button (five times),
  • Then press the Up button,
  • Followed by pressing Rewind (twice),
  • And Fast Forward (twice).

Resolution: Perform a manual factory reset

Previous update: 7/11 This issue is currently being investigated.

To assist us in resolving this, please provide the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version (accessible via Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID (to obtain this, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times when the issue occurs).
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue?
  • Who is your ISP (internet service provider) and what is the make and model of your router?

Thank you once again for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,
The Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku tv is never connected to internet

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

We understand that you are experiencing issues with the Roku TV as it was not able to detect or reconnect to your network after getting disconnected. We would be pleased to help you even more. Please try to factory reset your Roku TV by following the steps below.

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Advanced system settings.
  5. Select Factory reset.
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Using the physical button

Located on the back or bottom of your TV, the physical Reset button is either tactile or pinhole-designed and requires a straightened paperclip to open. Once you locate the Reset button and your Roku TV is powered on, press and hold the button firmly for about 10 seconds.

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply to the thread for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Have to reconnect to the internet every time the device powers on

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for posting the connectivity issue with your Roku TV to the Roku Community.

For this matter, we're glad to let you know that performing a Factory Reset on your Roku TV may resolve the issue you are experiencing.

You can follow the steps below to perform a factory reset from the Roku device settings:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings.
  5. Select Factory reset
  6. Select Factory, reset everything, and follow the on-screen instructions.

You may also use the physical button on your Roku TV. It is located on the back or bottom of your device, and the physical Reset button is either tactile or has a pinhole design that requires a straightened paper clip. It will appear similar to one of the following:

image.png

Once you locate the Reset button and your Roku device is powered on, press and hold the button firmly for about 10 seconds. When the factory reset is complete, an indicator light or status LED will blink rapidly on most Roku devices.

After a successful factory reset, your Roku device will restart in the same state as a factory-new device.

For more detailed information, visit our Support article on Factory resetting a Roku streaming device.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
395 REPLIES 395

Have to reconnect to the internet every time the device powers on

Jump to solution

Model 3941X - Roku Express 4K+ connected wirelessly to the Internet. Powered by USB connection to TV (no spare wall jack nearby). Every time I power on the device and select a channel, I get the error, "Your device is not connected to the Internet." I go through the wireless setup, page through each screen (as my network info is saved from the last time I went through the setup process), select my network and password, the device connects with excellent signal strength, etc.  All is good and the device works normally. If I power off the TV (using the Roku remote), then power it on an hour or a day later, I once again get the "not connected" error, and go through the same step above. Rinse and repeat, same experience every time. The device hasn't forgotten the connection settings because they're there as prepopulated defaults in the network setup screens, it just makes me select them again each time. Any suggestions?

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Petergklein

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We see that you're having an issue regarding the network on your Roku Express, and we'd be more than glad to assist. As a start, let's troubleshoot this issue. Kindly follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to Settings > System > Advance System Settings > Network Connection Reset > Reset Connection.
  2. Then restart your Roku device from Settings > System > Power (skip if no sub-menu) > System Restart. 
  3. Restart your modem/router and reconnect your Roku device to your network.

Please keep us posted on how this works, and we'll assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Petergklein-

I suspect your problem is due to powering the Roku from a USB port on the TV that powers down when you turn off the TV, so the Roku shuts down and loses its net connection.  (I  would expect it to reconnect automatically when power is restored and it boots up, but it apparently is not doing that.)  See if the TV has a setting that will maintain power to the USB port all the time, or a second always-on USB port. 

If that isn't an option, try powering the Roku from an outlet to see if that changes things.  For testing purposes you could just run an extension cord.  If that works, if you prefer you could move the Roku nearer an outlet to eliminate the extension cord and use a longer HDMI cord to go to the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
cjcf48

Jump to solution

My Roku streaming stick is already connected to a power outlet, and everytime I turn off the TV and turn it back on, the Roku stick will no connect.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @cjcf48

It's always great to see new users around here in the Roku Community.

We understand that you're having an issue regarding your Roku device having an intermittent connection to the network, and we'd be more than glad to assist. For this matter, we recommend following the steps below to resolve the issue:

Reset Network Connection

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.

System Restart

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

After following the troubleshooting steps below, kindly see if you see any improvements.

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Mixedbreed04
Reel Rookie

Onn Roku tv will not connect to my internet.

Jump to solution

Some one help please it’s been a week and I’ve tried everything Onn Roku tv will not connect to my internet. It stopped working out of nowhere and everything else works on my Wi-Fi

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Onn Roku tv will not connect to my internet.

Jump to solution

Hi, @Mixedbreed04

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for reaching out to us for support, and we'd be more than willing to assist. We recommend performing the steps below to resolve the issue.

Reset Network Connection:

1. Press Home  on your Roku remote
  3. Select Advanced system settings
  4. Select Network connection reset
  5. Select Reset connection

System Restart

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

Additionally, you can perform a system restart on your modem/router. Further, we also recommend trying to connect to a hotspot to see if you're able to maintain a connection.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
LatoyaSB

Jump to solution

My Roku TV will not connect to the house Wi-Fi but if I Hotspot from my phone it will connect and I can watch my  streaming services. What does this mean? Every other device including my FireTV connects and works without any issues. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @LatoyaSB

It's our pleasure to welcome you here in the Roku Community.

Thank you for informing us about the network issue you're experiencing with your Roku TV. We want you to know that we are here to assist you. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps we provided earlier in this thread? Additionally, we suggest restarting your modem/router to see if it resolves the issue.

Keep us posted, and we'll assist you further.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.