Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dreamnest3

Re: Roku keeps disconnecting from wifi

I am having the same issues. Roku gives a message that it has lost internet connection yet every other devices is fine.  The issue is with Roku not the internet.  How do we fix this.

0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

To anyone with this issue, please just invest the few dollars it costs for a simple Ethernet cable and hook it up. I don't promise this will eliminate every and all internet connectivity issue, but it WILL eliminate NEARLY all of them 

EDIT: If your router doesn't support enough Ethernet ports, just purchase an Ethernet switch. they're in the neighborhood of lower $20's and will offer you enough expansion for hardwired LAN to suit most people's purposes. I use two, both of which add ten more ports (each using two router ports). This set up has virtually eliminated ALL Wi-Fi issues. Just Google "Ethernet switch." It'worth the effort and minimal expense. Trust me or don't. It's up to you.

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@MrXxx, you're missing one important point - not all Roku devices have an Ethernet port and not all that don't support a USB Ethernet adapter.  Not to mention, most homes aren't wired with Ethernet to every room.  But I agree, if at all possible, use an Ethernet cable.  🙂

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dreamnest3,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for keeping us posted!

We understand you are having a problem with the Roku device since it disconnects from your Wi-Fi. We're happy to assist you further. Please check if the router allows disabling DFS, or you may reach out to the internet service provider for additional help.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you still have any concerns.

Regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bullwinkle68
Binge Watcher

I’ve used Roku for many years.  Seems like every couple of years they die and I have to replace them.  I never had issues with the older models but I think the newer ones have issues. Just replaced one that quit working. Got the Ultra LT model.  
Problem 1) Icons on main menu showed as empty boxes without any picture inside. Connected to the channels but couldn’t read the tiny print above them. Exchanged it for same model and had same problem. It resolved itself after a few hours. 
Problem 2) Same issue you have with Wi-fi disconnecting.  My other devices stay connected so it’s not the router.  
When I turn on the tv, it says no signal.  Pressing the home button several times seems to reconnect to wi-fi so far.  It also drops connection when I pause the program for a few minutes.  
Problem 3) Photo Stream works intermittently. When it doesn’t work, I get the Roku name scrolling on the screen as screensaver.  
Seems to me that every time they “improve it” they create new problems.  The old Roku worked fine.  
They need to learn from the old adage. 
If it works, DON’T FIX IT !!!!!

0 Kudos
Sweedio
Channel Surfer

I feel for you, Bullwinke68. What ever happened to the tried and true K.I.S.S adage? Keep it simple stupid which goes hand in hand with if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. There is a lot to be said for simplicity. I have finally mostly solved my connectivity issue, although there are still fairly regular glitches that I think might be app crashes. But who knows? There isn’t  much intelligible feedback from the Roku device. Just standard software/hardware finger pointing type reboot/power cycle kinds of suggestions. Coming from the software development world, I have seen this kind of standard solution set to computer software and hardware issues become very pervasive. I live in fear of most software “upgrades” any more. Grin and bear it!

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Bullwinkle68 wrote:

When I turn on the tv, it says no signal.  Pressing the home button several times...

I can only comment on this one.  "No signal" displayed on your TV has nothing to do with the Wi-Fi connection.  It means the TV isn't receiving a signal from the Roku device.  Newer models have a "power saving" option.  That's what this sounds like.  When it goes into "power saving", it shuts off the signal to the TV.  Pressing Home (or any other non-TV control) button should wake it.  You can find the setting under Settings->System->Power.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Bullwinkle68
Binge Watcher

It’s June 2024, over a year since your post.. My newly purchased $80 Roku Ultra has the SAME issue. I exchanged it for the same model which also has the same problem.  After getting the same response from support, I initiated a chat with support. FINALLY the person admitted that it was a software problem.  Said it would be escalated to priority status and I’d receive an email to let me know when it was fixed and thanks for my patience. This problem was reported OVER A YEAR AGO, and still persists. I’m supposed to wait an indefinite period of time until it gets fixed while the Roku made my TV unless.  I can’t count the number of times I’ve re booted it.  
It’s a shame because I had Roku streamers since they first came out.  They were GREAT !  Now, they have become garbage due to glitches in the software that Roku hasn’t properly addressed.  Instead, they send form letters by email, and ask for your patience without an end in sight. I don’t blame them for the bad software that caused this but I blame them for not fixing the problem in a timely manner.  I’ll keep using the Roku I have that works until it doesn’t, then replace it with another brand streamer. As for the new Ultra that keeps disconnecting, it being returned for refund and I’m getting the Apple or Firestick. I’m very disappointed that Roku customer service leaves a lot to be desired.   I’ve used and enjoyed Roku for years with no problems   It’s a shame they think they can give bad service as their once monopoly in the market now has many competitors.  Goodbye Roku !

0 Kudos
Bullwinkle68
Binge Watcher

You don’t.  ROKU used to be a great product.  I joined the forum to see if I could fix mine for the same problem.  
it’s a software glitch, first reported on this forum OVER A YEAR AGO. After many attempts by rebooting, restoring to original state and starting over with no success and getting a run around from support, I’ve decided to return it for a refund and buy another brand. 
it’s a shame.  ROKU USED TO BE THE BEST !

0 Kudos
Bullwinkle68
Binge Watcher

Sweedio:

I hear you.  It happens with all high tech electronics and usually it’s the “update” that causes problems.  LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE ! Unfortunately, Roku doesn’t give the user the ability to disable automatic updates.  Computers, tablets and cell phones do but not Roku. I can see on this forum that the problem was reported over a year ago ! I’ve gotten canned emails and messages that are just to appease my anger at their lack of responsibility to fix things in a timely manner.  I’m moving towards the Apple or Firestick.  Really a shame as I have had Roku since it first came out.  They were great.  Now that there is competition they need to get their act together or they will lose their market share.  I’m not willing to pay $80  to wait for an indefinite period of time until they do the right thing and fix it. This Roku has made my TV  useless.  Good luck with your ROKU 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.