Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squidy
Reel Rookie

Roku immediately disconnects from WiFi after connecting

Jump to solution

I have had my HDMI Roku for a couple years now with no previous issues. Just in the past couple months, it is always disconnected from WiFi upon turning it on as well as during use. After I connect it to the internet, it immediately starts blinking again and I get the pop-up to set up a connection or proceed anyway. Usually, it works somehow as if it really is still connected, but tonight it is not working at all and it is getting incredibly annoying.

I have tried absolutely everything - restarting, unplugging, my software is always up to date, etc etc etc. And I cannot do anything about my router as I live in an apartment complex…again, this was never an issue before on this same WiFi, so I strongly believe it is the Roku bugging, and I am seriously considering a factory reset or sending it for a repair (if Roku even does that)/buying a new one.

No other devices of mine have internet connectivity issues, ever. So it has to be something wrong with the Roku. It doesn’t even stay connected for five seconds. Has anyone experienced this at the same incessant level and found a fix!? Thanks!! Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  Express 4K+

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EE_Dad
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku immediately disconnects from WiFi after connecting

Jump to solution

Hi ERay. Success!

As you guided, I cycled power last night and Roku Express awoke w/ network connected. Also did Settings > Systems > Software update and got quick fun msg about hyperdrive. TV ran for hours last night and again this morning. 

Thank you! Hopefully this helps other Roku users too.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Ali1317

Jump to solution

Since Tuesday evening our devices are dropping internet connection every 10-20 minutes. We have 4 sticks and 2 roku smart tvs. All of them are having issues. 

mmbj

Jump to solution

ROKU is disconnected from its paying base - the customer.  They apparently do not have support system to fix their problem.  I am sick of it and therefore will spend my money elsewhere. Goodbye ROKU

EE_Dad
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same thing for Roku Express except net connection now drops after just 5 min. Box just 1 month old (bought in Jan) and worked fine after changing that 20 min power save to off. Other Roku sticks, iPads, etc. in house work fine - just this Roku Express. 

Obviously hundreds if not thousands of Roku owners have same problem. When is real solution like software upgrade or product recall coming?

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users.

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for bringing this information to us, and we'd be more than glad to assist. We recommend performing the following troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

Perform a Network Connection Reset:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.

Perform a System Restart.

1. Restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

After performing this step, kindly reconnect your Roku device to the network connection, and check if you're able to maintain a connection. If the issue persists, we recommend connecting to a mobile hotspot as a last resort to see if the connection stays.

Please keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
squidy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello Kash,

I have tried all of these options numerous times, none of them solve the issue. There really is no point in using a hotspot in order to use my Roku, so I am not seeing any fix in sight.

Do you work for Roku? If you could somehow pass this along to developers, it is seriously needed because thousands of Roku customers, including myself, are about to not be any longer. It seems to be a well-known issue with nothing being done to fix it.

Respectfully,

S

0 Kudos
EE_Dad
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for quick reply, Kash. I did all those steps (and more) yesterday, but followed them EXACTLY as written and took photos of TV screens along the way. Long story short, Roku Express worked 4 minutes then lost connection. In Network menu, signal strength said Excellent. Password still intact. So I retried to re-connect, this time to 5Ghz. Nothing. New screen said reboot router and retry. Did & did but no connection. That brought me back to white screen w/ red error which says to start all this over again. 

Any other ideas? And let me know if screen shots would help your engineers.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @squidy @EE_Dad,

Thank you for getting back to us here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your problem connecting your Roku device to the network. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue. Please tell us more details so that we can better understand the problem you are having.

• When did the issue start?
  • Are you connected to a public or private network, and have you tried restarting it?
  • How far is your Roku device from your network router?
  • What error message or code are you getting after trying to connect to your network? (after entering the network credentials)
  • Did you recently make any changes to your network or network provider?
  • How many devices do you have connected to your network right now? (e.g., TV, mobile phone, laptops, computer)

We highly suggest restarting the network router, for it can resolve issues with connectivity, such as slow speeds or dropped connections. It also clears the cache, improves its performance and stability, and refreshes the connection with the Roku device. You must also keep in mind that Roku Express is not designed for long-range Wi-Fi and, hence, must not be too far from the network.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                    Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@EE_Dad,

We've got some update for you about this.

We think that this is now rectified and that the issue has been handled. Please give the device a power cycle before attempting again.

Please keep us posted on how things going.

Best regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
EE_Dad
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi ERay. Success!

As you guided, I cycled power last night and Roku Express awoke w/ network connected. Also did Settings > Systems > Software update and got quick fun msg about hyperdrive. TV ran for hours last night and again this morning. 

Thank you! Hopefully this helps other Roku users too.

0 Kudos