Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbwells

Roku Express won't power on and neither will a new one

My almost-3-year-old Express (3930X) suddenly shut down while we were watching a show. It will not power back up. Cycling power gives a steady blue light for ~5 seconds then flashes 8 or 9 times before going dark. The remote cannot trigger anything during the lights or after. It has always been plugged into the Roku power adapter and wall outlet. I just bought a new Express (3960X) and have the same issue. I have tried both power cords, the Roku adapter, a generic adapter, and different wall outlets with both units. There is no issue with my wi-fi.I have not changed any hardware or network settings recently. This location was selected because I didn't see one for Power/Boot Up issues.

If you ask me to PM more information, please tell me how, as I don't see a way to do it here or on any related pages.  Thank you very much.

6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express won't power on and neither will a new one

@jbwells 

Sorry if it sounds like a basic question, but have you tried moving it to a different outlet and eliminating any power strips or extension cords as possible culprits.  With the second generic adapter, make sure supplies at least 5volts, 1amp. (look at the printing on the adapter).

Additionally, try using a different HDMI port on the connected TV or use a different TV if available to see if issue follows the devices.  Not impossible, but unlikely to have two defunct devices.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

My Roku Express 3930X that I've had for years did the same thing. Screen froze when I was watching. I unplugged and replugged everything and did a hard reset (held reset button down on back for more than 30 sec). I figured it died of old age so I got a new Roku Express 3960RW today. It came with the streaming device, a remote, some batteries, the HDMI cable and a USB cable. No wall plug. My old unit didn't have a wall plug either. I disconnected the old unit and plugged in the new unit exactly the same - one end of the HDMI cable to the back of the Roku, the other end to the back of the TV; one end of the USB cable to the back of the Roku, the other end to the back of the TV. I'm getting nothing on the screen. I made sure I was on the correct input location, unplugged and replugged everything, did a hard reset. Nothing. And the light is flashing on the front of the Roku. What is causing this? I have a Vizio TV. The TV is powering on and I can manually move thru the menu for the input locations, so I know it's not the TV. How can I get this thing to work???

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @countrygrits225,

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@countrygrits225 

Building on @RokuNimfa-C explanation of insufficient power supply of your TV USB power port (sometimes they wear out), try using a wall adapter plug at the wall outlet and see if that resolves your issue.

Try using a cell phone USB charging wall adapter (5volts, 1amp) since your device did not come with one.

Unplug the USB power cable from your TV, plug the USB into the power adapter, and plug power adapter into wall outlet.

If it resolves issue, try the wall power adapter with your old Roku device as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

I am have the same issue! Starts to boot up then in a few seconds the blue light starts flashing and it shuts off! 😤 I have changed the power cord, plugged it into the wall and tv -everything! Continues to do it!

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @becinangelo,

Thanks for making your first post here in the Roku Community!

We see that you're experiencing this behavior on your Roku Express, and we'd like to know when you start seeing this issue occur.

What are the steps to reproduce the issue, and do you have another device that seems to experience the problem?

We'd like more information so we'll be able to assist you further.

Best regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos