Using your smart home devices

Learn to set up your smart devices in your Roku house. Discover how to use Roku with your home assistant, find troubleshooting tips, and get community advice.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KY2
Channel Surfer

Re: Wireless Doorbell Won't Record Videos Or Pictures Manually

@Alicia330 

Yes, it is frustrating.  Due to the way my property is laid out I have 14 different cameras including the door bell along with the home monitoring system.  I really like all the cameras and equipment.  It really is the most cost effective especially if you are already into Roku with their streaming devices.  You would think with all the positives they would make sure the app works correctly as it is the control of them all.  Hopefully, they will get the app issue fixed quickly.  Come on Roku you can do better than this.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Greetings Community users,

We appreciate you for keeping in touch and for the extra details about this issue going on.

In this case, we'll need backup from the appropriate Roku team to investigate this further and we'll need your help.

Please share with us the details below.

• Log ID: From the camera, go to settings gear > support > submit log
  • The firmware version of the Roku Smart Home app
  • Brand of the device

Keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JJTech

I'm having the same issue, literally just started having it as soon as I updated the application on my Google pixel 7A.

0 Kudos
JJTech

This is not helpful and one of the basic things that everybody knows to do. You think we'd be posting this if we didn't try those.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JJTech,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for raising this concern directly with us!

We understand you're having a problem with the Roku wire-free doorbell camera. We're happy to assist you further. You can set your smart home camera or video doorbell to record an event when it detects motion and/or sound. If neither detection setting is enabled, the camera will not record events. You can change detection settings for motion and sound in the app.

1. Select your camera from the home screen.
  2. Tap Settings in the corner.
  3. Tap Event Recording.
  4. Toggle each detection setting on or off.

You can change the zone detection, motion tagging, and sensitivity settings further to adjust when an event recording is triggered. If you purchase a smart home subscription, smart detection can be used to identify when an event is triggered by a person, pet, vehicle, or package.

If the problem still exists, please keep us posted.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Alicia330
Reel Rookie

John,

Setting event recording is not the problem. Please read the string before responding. The problem is MANUAL pictures or video recording. It is obviously a bug that appeared with the last update, and has yet to be acknowledged. 

0 Kudos
KY2
Channel Surfer

Now add on top of it that some Android app users can't manually set the order of their devices on their devices list.  When you manually move them when the app goes to update the list it groups them together based on like devices and moves them wherever it wants.  I can use my apple device and order them however I want.  Roku please fix these issues with the Roku app instead of your members just giving us the basic generic responses of things to do that everyone does first thing to troubleshoot or not reading the full the message chain.  Roku you can do better than this.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Alicia330,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We apologize for the inconvenience you have gone through. And we express our gratitude for your effort in resolving the issue. Could you please provide the requested information, as @RokuERey mentioned above in this thread?

Once we have this information, we'll pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cjohns910910
Channel Surfer

I have the same issue. I can't even submit logs. I don't think they know how to solve it. I have been calling in since March. I was told to add a memory card and I just shook my head because then I knew they didn't know anything because the doorbell camera doesn't have a SD card slot. I have every permission on and still cant download, take pic or record from my video doorbell. And my sound doesn't work sometimes.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Cjohns910910,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

Thank you for contacting us about the issue with your Roku Wireless Doorbell not recording videos or pictures. We're pleased to assist.

We recommend please try the following troubleshooting steps below:

1. Confirm your Roku Smart Home app and doorbell firmware are up to date.
  2. Confirm that detects motion and detects sound is turned on in the Events Recording setting.
    • Doorbell Live Stream > Settings > Event Recording
  3. Confirm there are no event recording schedules.
    • Doorbell Live Stream > Settings > Event Recording > Schedule > All Day should be toggled ON
  4. Turn the detection sensitivity to 100.
    • Doorbell Live Stream > Settings > Detection Zone
    • If you begin to receive too many notifications, they can lower the sensitivity by 5-10 notches at a time until you receive the desired amount of events/notifications.
  5. Confirm if there aren’t any scheduled Rules that might affect when Event Recordings take place.
    • Tap the [...] at the top of the Roku Smart Home app.
    • Tap Edit Rules.
    • It should bring up a list of any rules that you have created.
  6. Verify if other devices can access the internet using the same WiFi.
    • If yes, proceed to Step 9.
    • If not, reboot the router.
    • If the issue persists, proceed to Solution A.
  7. Power cycle the doorbell.
    • Flip the breaker switch that is powering the doorbell to the “OFF” position, wait 10 full seconds, and flip the breaker switch back to the “ON” position.
  8. Please check your network connection. If issues are found, go to Solution A.
    • Check the signal strength. If it is below 3 bars, we suggest moving the camera closer to the router.
      • Settings > Device Info> Signal Strength
    • If the issue continues after network troubleshooting steps, go to Solution A.
  9.  Factory reset the doorbell.
    • Press in on the doorbell while also pushing it up to remove it from the backplate. This exposes the back wiring and setup button.
    • Press and hold the setup button until the status light turns solid yellow.
    • Once the light turns solid yellow, release the setup button and wait for the light to begin flashing again.
    • From there, set the doorbell up again as if it were a new device

Solution A: Please contact your ISP to resolve network issues.

Please keep us updated on your findings and we will be happy to assist you further. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.