Using your smart home devices

Learn to set up your smart devices in your Roku house. Discover how to use Roku with your home assistant, find troubleshooting tips, and get community advice.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willifast
Channel Surfer

Where are Videos & Photos that are in the 'Album' stored?

Jump to solution

I have many Indoor & Outdoor cameras - Smart Home Subscription - SD cards in a few OUTDOOR camera and 1 SD card in a Base Station (none in any Indoor camera). Everything works great - all Event Detection & Event Recording, everything. 

My question is regarding the 'Album' and where those Videos & Photos are stored. I get to the Album via viewing any INDOOR camera - go to 'More' - select 'Album'. I have a handful of Videos that show up there including 1 that I just did as a test. Just for clarity, the videos I see in Album are from when I hit 'Record' on a Indoor camera. So, where are the Videos and Photos that show up under Album stored? 

Side note - when I hit Record on any Outdoor camera the video shows up in Events, not Album. If I try to access the Album via an Outdoor camera I get a message 'Turn on access to your Storage to let Roku save videos and photos to your Album'. I select 'Go to Settings' to do that and it doesn't matter what I allow or disallow in the App Settings, I still cannot get to the Album via a Outdoor camera. So for me it seems the Album feature is specific to Indoor cameras....maybe doorbell cams too but I don't have one.

The bottom line here is that I want to use my Indoor cameras to record stuff, but I do not want the recordings stored in any Cloud storage. I also do not want any videos I manually record to be transmitted beyond my home network.

Does anyone here know where Album media is stored and if it's transmitted externally?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Where are Videos & Photos that are in the 'Album' stored?

Jump to solution

I believe "Album" really refers to the storage on your phone.  I don't have a subscription, so there's no way I'm getting any kind of cloud storage.  On my Android phone, any recording I make from my Floodlight camera shows up under "Album", but not "Events".  It also shows up in my phone's "Gallery" where all my other photos and videos are.  If I delete a video from either place it gets removed from both places.

I'm guessing that message about allowing access could be at the root of the problem.  Whenever I have issues with the Roku Smart Home app, uninstalling it and reinstalling it usually fixes it, so you might want to give that a try.

I should note that I don't have a microSD card in the camera or base station and I'm not sure how that affects things.  I don't think pressing record in the app records to the microSD card, but I haven't tried it either.  If you remove the card from one of the cameras does it change anything?

For more information in case you haven't seen it:

How to install a micro SD card in your Roku Smart Home camera | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I believe "Album" really refers to the storage on your phone.  I don't have a subscription, so there's no way I'm getting any kind of cloud storage.  On my Android phone, any recording I make from my Floodlight camera shows up under "Album", but not "Events".  It also shows up in my phone's "Gallery" where all my other photos and videos are.  If I delete a video from either place it gets removed from both places.

I'm guessing that message about allowing access could be at the root of the problem.  Whenever I have issues with the Roku Smart Home app, uninstalling it and reinstalling it usually fixes it, so you might want to give that a try.

I should note that I don't have a microSD card in the camera or base station and I'm not sure how that affects things.  I don't think pressing record in the app records to the microSD card, but I haven't tried it either.  If you remove the card from one of the cameras does it change anything?

For more information in case you haven't seen it:

How to install a micro SD card in your Roku Smart Home camera | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
willifast
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I really appreciate your reply! You noting that you see recordings in your phone's gallery led me to figuring out how both the indoor and outdoor cameras manage recordings. It's actually very cool and the recordings are not transmitted externally, which was my main objective.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos