Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DianeAult
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku keeps going back to home screen

I have left my Roku streaming stick+ unplugged and disconnected from any t.v. for the last 2 weeks. Plugged it into a different TV, and the same problem persist.  My other device has not had any issues, yet. However, I would like to watch shows somewhere other than my bedroom. So why is this device having all the issues?? Why are so many people having the same issues still? I hate the thought I had wasted $$. My old purple boxes, never gave me this many problems. 

Can we please have some ACTUAL answers and solutions??

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@DianeAult,

Thanks for the post,

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We're pleased to assist.

Factory reset your device

A factory reset clears the majority of data from your Roku device and restores it to a factory default configuration. Specifically, the process will:

• Erase your personal preferences.
  • Unlink your device from your Roku account.
  • Reset all settings and return your device to a state ready for initial setup.

If you can control your Roku device, you can easily perform a factory reset from the Settings menu. If you cannot control your device or it is completely unresponsive, you can perform a factory reset using the physical Reset button on the device.

From the Settings menu

Perform the following steps with your Roku remote or the Roku mobile app:

1. Press Home home button on Roku remote on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced System settings
  5. Select Factory reset
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
funkytrunx
Channel Surfer

@RokuJohnB

I have the same problem on my second soundbar and have tried 3 different wireless networks with both in different states (read United States states), all with the same results.  i am going to try something different tonight and work off my 5G network and see if i get any different results...if not, i'm going to assume that it is a firmware/software issue.  the thing you need to realize is that this many people dealing with the same issue across many different networks, wireless or otherwise, and with different devices can't be solved by suggesting what you have suggested.  i get it...rule out everything else...i've worked in this field for the last 20 years in some form or fashion.  maybe it's time you and your team started looking inward as well.  as of yet, we have not heard that you are doing anything of the sort.  we just get the same 'bot' type response and it's getting old....

0 Kudos
Dfender
Reel Rookie

Could not connect to any apps.  Did reboot to factory settings.  Now all I get is a purple screen and can’t do anything to get past it. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dfender,

Warm greetings from the Roku Community!
We will be more than happy to assist you further, but we will need to gather more details. May we know what kind of Roku device you are using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify) How far is your Roku device or TV from your network router?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dfender
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku Express.  It has been used with this TV since June. Suddenly would not link to any apps and when I told it to go back to factory settings it went to a purple screen and nothing gets it off that screen. Have used the reset button and unplugged for hours but nothing changes. 

0 Kudos
Dfender
Reel Rookie

Also the device is about 30 feet from the router and other devices hooked to that router all show full strength. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Dfender @funkytrunx

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

For us to better assist, we'd like to gather more specific details. May we know on what channel/app this issue occurs? Also, what steps have you taken to resolve the issue? Further, when did this issue start to occur?

The more information we have, the better we can assist.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
funkytrunx
Channel Surfer

@RokuTakashi 

If you would please take a little bit of time and go back through this thread, all your questions will be answered.  But I will save you that time.  The first post in this thread was in June of 2023 as far as I can tell.  My first post was 10/31/23.  But this issue has been happening since long before June.  As far as steps we have taken, they range from factory resets, to trying different networks, and everything else that the other moderators have suggested (speaking of other moderators, do you even COMMUNICATE with each other?).  It happens on all devices, all networks, and all channels/apps.  In my last post, I mentioned trying on my 5G network as opposed to my 2.4G network.  Within 10 minutes, I was back at the home screen without pushing a button.  

I hate to mention it but it's starting to look like it's an actual hardware issue intentionally designed to fail after a while to force us to buy new hardware.  Or did Roku get hacked and now we all have malware on our devices and this is some BS that we just have to deal with?

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @funkytrunx

We appreciate your response, and we'll be asking for further information for us to assist and get this issue addressed. Could you please provide the following information?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,
Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.
All the best,
Kash
Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos