Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DianeAult
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku keeps going back to home screen

Seems to be happening to several people. 

It's happening on EVERY channel. Yes, we have deleted, restarted, reinstalled. Didn't help at all. It is NOT the internet considering the only device that is having any issue, is the ROKU. 

I had to watch the football game on my phone today because my Roku wouldn't allow me to!! 

You, Roku, need to fix YOUR software and stop giving all of us the same, lame, **bleep** suggestions. Just admit it and FIX IT! 

THANKS.B

0 Kudos
Mimi_S

This started happening a few days ago to one of our Roku Express. I wrongfully replaced it with a new one (Express 4k). Same issue persists. Factory resetting, replacing all cables, plugging into wall NOTHING HELPS!!! Not only does EVERY channel go back to the Home Screen after a few minutes, Netflix doesn’t stream consistently without stopping a few seconds into the show/movie. Please release a 12.5.1 version with the fix!!!

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

We are grateful that you informed us of this, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

We advise using a different network, such as a mobile hotspot, on your device to see if that resolves the issue. Please return here and provide the details below if the problem continues.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Channels affected on this issue

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
normg452
Reel Rookie

Here are the results of my test.

(Note, this problem also happens with a brand new streaming stick, but that has been boxed back up. If necessary I can reinstall it if that helps.)

model 3600X -Roku stick
serial number 5S56AK529740
software version 12.5.0 * build 4178-24

Network 1
GC version 10.4.37
Timestamp 2023-12-13T21:47:39Z
ID 40-499-547
============
Network 2
Timestamp 2023-12-13T21:57:50Z
ID 40-499-557

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mstromberg62
Reel Rookie

I am on a TVL Roku smart TV and will get information on that. However to suggest that I set up a mobile hotspot to try to see if that helps, when I am connected to a high speed fiber optic internet, is ridiculous. This is obviously a system issue -- a ROKU issue-- not a network issue.  

I am finding that occasionally when this problem happens I can still connect to YouTube, and I've found that if I watch something on that app for 5 or so minutes, I can then go back and get into other apps -- Roku, Hulu, Paramount+, pluto, Peacock , etc... without it kicking me out. This problem is recent, within the last few months for me. That would suggest a system issue that should be fixed from within and an update installed. 

I hate to think I need to replace my TV after only a couple years because ROKU has issues... (and if I do end up having to do that as a solution , it won't be too another ROKU product for sure. ) 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for providing us with the requested details, @normg452.

Rest assured that this information has already been forwarded to the relevant team for further review. 

If there's anything else we can be of assistance with, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Mstromberg62.

We completely understand your input. Sometimes, even with fiber optics, fluctuations in speed or signal strength can cause delays. 

No worries. Our team is currently in the process of determining the root cause and finding the best resolution possible. 

Once again, we sincerely apologize for any trouble and inconvenience this may have caused. In the meantime, your patience and understanding are highly appreciated. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
normg452
Reel Rookie

Update: As of Thursday evening,12/21/2023 my Roku is now working as expected. No more jumps back to the home screen.

My network and software versions have not changed so I'm unsure what corrected the problem. I'm concerned that things that fix themselves will break again.

Roku Community Moderator, please let us know if a change was made to resolve the problem.

Also, if others still seeing this problem, post an update.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
funkytrunx
Channel Surfer

As of 12/22/23, my Roku is still having the same issues.  My network and software versions have not changed either but I had it happen 3 times that night within the span of about 5 hours.

Roku.......still waiting for a proper answer....

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @funkytrunx,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!
We'd like to take a closer look into this issue that you're experiencing. Are your other devices able to connect to the network without any issues or latency? Did we recently make any changes to your network or network provider? How many devices do you have connected to your network right now? (e.g., TV, mobile phone, laptops, computer) Do you have cellular data so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos