Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nteuscher
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 4k will not boot

My Roku Express 4k stopped working today. It is stuck on the boot screen. I tried a factory reset and it stays stuck on the boot screen. 

anyone have ideas on how to kickstart this thing?

0 Kudos
71 REPLIES 71
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express 4k will not boot

Hello @Nteuscher

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku Express 4K? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Nteuscher
Reel Rookie

The device is plugged into a wall outlet. I've never plugged it into the TV (It is in a media room with only a projector). I have tried plugging it into multiple different outlets, connecting it to multiple different TVs, performed a factory reset multiple times (hold reset button for 10-60 seconds), and tested the device in many different rooms. It never gets past the bouncing Roku logo. I have other Roku devices in the house that work properly. I believe this device is damaged and initiated an exchange.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Nteuscher

Thanks for the follow up.

When trying to perform a factory reset, are you making sure to press and hold down the reset button for 30-45 seconds regardless of what is happening on screen?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Nteuscher
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R 

i have done that with no success. After pressing the reset button, the screen goes black and stays black. After at least 45 seconds, I release the reset button and the screen stays black. It never changes, even after 30 minutes. If I disconnect power and reconnect power, the red light flashes once and then a steady blue light appears and I set the dancing Roku logo. 

Since the device is under warranty, and it clearly will not boot up, please authorize a replacement to be shipped. If additional tests are needed, please list ALL required tests so I don’t have to spend more time waiting for a reply. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Nteuscher,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

If you are still having any issues with your Roku Express 4K after following these steps, please provide the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

We appreciate your patience with this matter.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Nteuscher
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your help. The support team provided me with an RMA and instructions.

0 Kudos
Luluandthefork
Channel Surfer

Hi Kariza,

Like the OP, my device will also not move past the the bouncing Roku screen / blue light. I have a Roku Express 4K+, not sure if that will make a difference with what you’ve said to them.

Anyway, I have also tried everything — different ways to power (although I had originally had it plugged into wall outlet, never the USB into TV), many attempts to hard reset, and never getting anywhere else.

Please help, I only purchased this device in September 2021.

Best,

LGK

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @Luluandthefork

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Luluandthefork
Channel Surfer

S07P218XRGDV

0 Kudos