Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaz2022
Channel Surfer

Date, time, and video resolution not working after the Smart Home update a couple days ago

After the update a couple days ago, none of my camera live feeds show the date and time when live streaming. I've tried turning the feature off and on and restarting the camera but it never fixes it. Also, there used to be a button to put the streaming to 360K, SD, or HD, but that is no longer in the latest app. It used to display the bits per second in live streaming. I used to use the bit streaming to tell if my camera was working since they would often freeze up. Now I can't tell if the live stream is just a static picture or if it is really streaming. Please put the bps back on the app! I am also now frequently getting CODE -20 and CODE -35 and CODE -45 and am having to restart my cameras frequently. 

31 REPLIES 31
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Date, time, and video resolution not working after the Smart Home update a couple days ago

Hi @Jaz2022,

Thanks for reaching us here in the Roku Community!

We'd love to assist you here. The feature for changing video resolution shouldn't be removed and should stay there, while the time stamp can be removed and also can be added back by selecting the device, navigating to Advanced system settings, and then clicking on Timestamp.

It seems like a couple of restarts have also been made here. We recommend performing a whole reset-up to see if we can get it working as it should.

You may refer to our troubleshooting here: How to factory reset your Roku Smart Home device.

We hope this helps!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
Jaz2022
Channel Surfer

Re: Date, time, and video resolution not working after the Smart Home update a couple days ago

Hi. This did not help me. I tried factory reset and restart of the cameras several times. I can only see the date and time when I am on the same wifi as the cams. When I am away using cellular or a remote wifi I cannot see date and time. Also, your latest update definitely removed the ability to change from 360 to SD to HD and I can never see the bps to verify if I am seeing a stream or if it is a static picture. I used to run most cams in 360 since my internet is not very fast. But now my cams are freeze frame most times since i can no longer select 360. My cam firmware is up to date. 

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jaz2022,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We'll be more than happy to assist you further. If you are using cellular data to view the live stream on your Roku smart home app or check the event recordings, it will depend on where you are currently located; sometimes, cellular data is not advisable since there are certain areas where the signal is slow.

We hope this helps.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ftnf
Channel Surfer

This new update has broken many things. Zoom is broken, time stamp-roku logo broken, app showing cams offline when they are recording events and uploading to the cloud - this happens multiple times per hour. App connection time to view cameras has doubled and sometimes tripled. Please fix this ASAP , thank you for the time.

ftnf
Channel Surfer

You could have literally taken 15 seconds to see that the SD/HD bitrate feature has been removed.

In addition Zoom is broken, date/time Roku logo broken, cameras multiple times every hour show offline when in fact they are online uploading clips to the cloud. I have six cameras and they all do this every five minutes or so which also tells us the internet connection is fine.

Everything they said is true, resetting your cameras does not fix any of the mentioned issues which you could have figured out by doing 5 minutes worth of testing.

And before trying to blame it on the customers cell date or internet router why do you not trouble shoot and then you could confirm these are all correct complaints.

I literally will never understand how customer service could be this blatantly lazy.

Jaz2022
Channel Surfer

Thank you for suggesting a possible fix, but the problem is not due to cell speed. The problems happen when I have 5G cell connection when away feom home as well as when I am connected to a remote hi speed wifi network away from home. The last update a few days ago really broke some stuff. As I mentioned, in addition to the date / time problem, I have frequently been getting error codes after your update a couple days ago. I have to restart my cameras several times a day since i cannot always connect to them in LIVE view. I have to force stop the app and clear the cache on my android phone several times a day. Even after doing this, there are now some cameras that I can't always connect to. I think you must have put in some sort of automated dynamic resolution speed adjustment to stream the live feeds, but it is not working well for me. Unfortunately you also removed my ability to manually set the stream at 360P in the app, and I think that is what is causing some of the problems. Thank you.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Greetings Community users,

We appreciate you for keeping us posted regarding this behavior you're seeing after receiving the recent update. I'll forward this over to the appropriate Roku team for additional review.

We really do apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Scorp1
Reel Rookie

This latest update has made all 6 of my cameras useless, no notifications, doesn't detect motion anymore on half of them for the past week, doesn't detect the presence of inserted micro sd cards anymore, no resolution control or bitrate monitor and constantly losing connection,grainy video quality now, it looked great before.

I've had the cameras for over a year now with some minor problems during that time but never to the extent of this update, It has wrecked everything. 

I would recommend looking elsewhere for security cameras I know I will be now.

Same. 2 cameras and multiple devices used for dedicated viewing all began doing the same thing here all at once. I'm assuming they are attempting to save themselves a few bucks by forcing automatic bandwidth and taking the option away from us without notice. Since these cams depend on "their" servers to operate at all in any capacity, they probably decided to put those options behind a paywall soon as "premium features" for new customers who don't know any better. But yeah, Linux network tech, so I'm not gonna bother listening to them tell me my Internet is bad or the equipment needs reset. Updates to improve security or functionality are one thing, but updates that remove established functionality and options to save roku some money on bandwidth...Shame shame.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.