Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elohesra

How to fix Roku mobile app that keeps disconnecting from device

Sorry, I did this to both my phones and no dice. This is not a permanent solution.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to fix Roku mobile app that keeps disconnecting from device

How are things @elohesra?

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

If you need further assistance regarding the issue you are experiencing, can you please provide more details? What Roku device are you using? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist your further.

Regards,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MValbaneda
Reel Rookie

I have had my TCL Roku since the start of the pandemic and have never had an issue with the app connecting to my tv. As of 4 days ago, I started experiencing issues with the app not connecting to my tv. I have followed every instruction and done everything and after many failed attempts I finally was able to get it resolved but it was short lived. I am now experiencing the same issue where it says it can’t wake my TV through the app and when I press find devices it says no devices found. I have inputted the information manually with my tv IP address and it says error please input correct address. I’m tired of having to restart and delete the app off my phone. What can I do to get the app working with my tv again? 

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @MValbaneda

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

Make sure both devices are on the same network and in the same band. If you are running iOS 14 or later, you must enable the Local Network setting on your mobile device for the Roku app. Go to Settings > Roku and enable the toggle for Local Network. Confirm your Roku TV is using a private IP address.
Most Wi-Fi routers create two separate networks for each Wi-Fi frequency band (2.4GHz and 5GHz). Though technically it shouldn’t matter if your phone and Roku are using different frequencies (both bands share the same subnet on your router so devices can talk to one another), to be absolutely sure, place both your phone and your Roku on the same Wi-Fi frequency band.
For other troubleshooting steps to connect the Roku Mobile app to your device please visit our Support page: Why does the Roku mobile app not see my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
MValbaneda
Reel Rookie

I have tried to do so and even turn on my tv with my remote to see if I can even use the app to control the volume but even with my tv on it won’t connect. On the app it shows a “?” Over my tv under the devices tab and it says waking and after a while it shows “can’t connect to “bedroom” tv.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MValbaneda

A warm welcome on Roku Community.

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing. We understand that you're having an issue with your Roku mobile app that keeps disconnecting from Roku device. Let's work on it.

Have you tried going to settings and trying to check this:

1. Press Home on your remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings
  5. Select Control by mobile apps
  6. Select Network access
  7. Choose one of three options:
  • Default. For users who want to use the Roku mobile app or a third-party app to control their Roku device. Most users choose this setting.
  • Permissive. For users who want the Roku mobile app or a third-party app to control their Roku device and are on a publicly accessible network. This choice is uncommon, and typically used with an advanced network configuration.
  • Disable: For users who do not want the Roku mobile app or a third-party app to be able to control their Roku device.

For more information, visit our Support page here: How to connect the Roku mobile app to your Roku device over Wi-Fi

Keep us posted so we can further assist.
Regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Shellie1229
Reel Rookie

I was unable to find my device either by searching or by doing it manually, even though they were on the same network.  When I used search, I got the response, "Roku TV Powered Off.  Turn on your TV and try again. "  If I tried to connect manually, the response was there was no device found.  I'm using a Hisense Roku TV model Gseries-50, as well as a Samsung A-53 with UI version 5.1 and Android version 13.  The only way I found to fix the problem was to unplug my TV for several minutes, reboot router, restart the phone, plug the TV back in and then connect the app as it normally should, but it disconnects again if I leave the app.  Obviously, I can't do all this every time.  Is there Anything else I can do or is this just a bug that needs fixing? 

0 Kudos