Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnlcd
Reel Rookie

Remote batteries not lasting

Jump to solution

I am also having problems with the batteries in two of my remotes, they last approximately 3 weeks before completely dying. The remotes are for a streaming stick +, I would be glad of some help. Thank you

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote batteries not lasting

Jump to solution

@Johnlcd @CeeCee0927 

Thanks for the post.

Are you using the private listening feature with your remote?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DJUNC87
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku remote draining batteries

Jump to solution

So I have done the system restart twice. My Roku stick has always been plugged into an outlet rather than via the TV's USB slot. I use the Roku maybe 4 hours a day to catch up on news on the Spectrum app. I use the remote to power the TV on and then to change the channel once and then to power off...that's it. The other times that I'm watching TV it's through my smart TV apps (Netflix, Prime, YouTube, etc) and I use my smart TV remote. Even after performing the system restart and minimally using my Roku remote, the batteries are still draining. I've been checking the battery life every day and it is is draining at a rate of 6% every 24 hour period. With a fresh set a batteries installed 72 hours ago, the battery life has already decreased to 82%.

0 Kudos
PilotJam

Jump to solution

This has been happening to me too with my streaming stick! Batteries are only lasting maybe a week. It’s so wasteful and frustrating!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DJUNC87 @PilotJam

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be viewed by navigating to Settings System About.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
DJUNC87
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I posted my info on 8/17 and followed the steps you provided. Here it is again.  Battery life has now decreased to 74%.

Model: 3810X

Serial #: YH0059424522

The remote control model # is RC490

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks, @DJUNC87

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
shelinoell
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

there have been many posts about the voice remotes draining batteries---this really only became a thread a few months ago, some with remotes under a year and some newly purchased and it doesn't seem to matter which Roku a person owns! It appears the problem ultimately lies in whoever is manufacturing the remotes, and it only seems to be happening with VOICE or Enhanced remotes. Perhaps Roku needs to do a recall because this becomes a very expensive problem when we are replacing batteries or having to add more accessories that were not needed before. In my situation, I've had my rokus (express, ultra, premier and premier plus) and remotes for a year or more but the problem only started a few months ago, and ONLY with the voice remotes!  I do not use the headphone port, I have done a factory reset, systems are up to date.

I am just wondering with this only became a problem fairly recently, and only with (in my circumstance, anyway) with the voice remotes.  My regular basic remotes work fine (on ALL the rokus) and I haven't had to change batteries in them more than once a year.

I've turned in my serial numbers etc etc several times and followed every suggestion but the problem persists.

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @shelinoell

We appreciate your feedback and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

It looks like you were in recent contact with our Support team. We would recommend continuing to work with them to resolve the remote battery drain issue you are experiencing as they would best be able to assist you moving forward.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Remote drains battery so fast

Jump to solution

Roku now also makes a rechargeable remote. (Not yet available in UK and shipping from US is crazy expensive)

@makaiguy wrote:

@bobogao 

It has been suggested that this can be caused by your wifi router using a channel that is crowded with a bunch of nearby routers using the same channel. Your remote has to work too hard constantly sorting through the information packets from all those other devices and it uses up the batteries much too quickly.

If you have access to your router's setup, try configuring it to use a different WiFi channel to see if this helps the situation. In the 2.4 GHz band, channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap each other and so give you the best chance at reducing congestion, so try each in succession, although depending on what channels your neighbors are using other channels may work best. Also, reducing router bandwidth from 40 to 20 kHz may also reduce interference.

Reducing congestion and interference can also improve your data transmission rates.

Several people have reported this solved their problem  Most never report back so frankly, I don't know how good this suggestion is.  Please report back to let us know how you make out.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos