Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larosabob
Binge Watcher

Voice remote won't go into pairing mode

Jump to solution

My remote apparently disconnected from my streaming stick +. I can't place the remote into pairing mode. I hold the button down for 20 to 30 seconds but nothing. 

Has happened to 2 different sticks. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Voice remote won't go into pairing mode

Jump to solution

Thank you for keeping us posted, @larosabob!

We appreciate your efforts to pair your remote, and we're here to help you.

We suggest the following to assist you in resolving this issue.

If you have the Roku mobile app installed, or another Roku remote that works with your streaming device, use the following steps to put your device into pairing mode from the Settings menu.

1. Press Home on your working remote or from the Roku mobile app
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Remotes & devices
  4. Select Add devices
  5. Select Remote
  6. Select Continue
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions to pair your voice remote

Restart your streaming device to enter pairing mode

If you do not have a second Roku remote that already works with your streaming device, or the Roku mobile app installed, you can restart your streaming device to put it in pairing mode. When your streaming device is powered on, it will automatically enter pairing mode and look for remotes.

Use the following steps to restart your streaming device.

1. Remove the power cord from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cord

Once you see the Home screen, follow the steps in the next section to put your voice remote into pairing mode and complete the pairing process with your streaming device.

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply back to the thread for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for keeping us posted, @larosabob!

We appreciate your efforts to pair your remote, and we're here to help you.

We suggest the following to assist you in resolving this issue.

If you have the Roku mobile app installed, or another Roku remote that works with your streaming device, use the following steps to put your device into pairing mode from the Settings menu.

1. Press Home on your working remote or from the Roku mobile app
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Remotes & devices
  4. Select Add devices
  5. Select Remote
  6. Select Continue
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions to pair your voice remote

Restart your streaming device to enter pairing mode

If you do not have a second Roku remote that already works with your streaming device, or the Roku mobile app installed, you can restart your streaming device to put it in pairing mode. When your streaming device is powered on, it will automatically enter pairing mode and look for remotes.

Use the following steps to restart your streaming device.

1. Remove the power cord from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cord

Once you see the Home screen, follow the steps in the next section to put your voice remote into pairing mode and complete the pairing process with your streaming device.

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply back to the thread for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
larosabob
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  The remote won't go into pairing mode no matter how long I hold the pairing button, no matter how many different pairs of batteries I put in.  This has happened to two different remotes.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@larosabob If you have tried all of the suggestions as a last resort I would do a factory reset of the steaming stick + itself.  Depending on the model there is a small button or a pin hole on the stick to do a manual factory reset.  I had this work on one occassion.  However if the cord with the bump that powers the stick is bad then nothing will solve your problem and the cords are no longer available.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@larosabob 

Do you still have original Roku usb cable with the bump in the middle? That is what remote is communicating with, if you're trying to use another usb type cable the Stick is not getting the pairing commands no matter how long you hold the button down. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
larosabob
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The Stick + was connect to the tv, but wasn't used for a few days.  Nothing changed.  It's the original equipment.  Let me post this one more time - 

THE REMOTE WON"T GO INTO PAIRING MODE

It shouldn't matter if the Stick is in pairing mode, if I press the button on the remote, it should go into pairing mode, shouldn't it?  It a Bluetooth connection.  

If I turn on a headset and put it into pairing mode, it doesn't matter if my phone is in pairing mode.  Same concept.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.