Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AZ-MRG
Channel Surfer

Roku volume control, out of control

When using remote to increase or decrease volume, the volume takes off all the way up or down (respectively). I have paired and used 2 completely different remotes and the issue still exists. This started about 2 - 3 months ago.  And it happens on several different apps (Netflix, Paramount+, etc.). Since remote is not the problem, it must be a software issue. 

MRG
12 REPLIES 12
Wildangel
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku volume control, out of control

Mine has also been flippant. It started about 6 months ago.

While Muting commercials my volume would stutter On/Off quickly for 8 rotations. I could stop it by pressing Mute/Vol Up/Down. But it has become very annoying! I thought it was just on #Pluto or #ParamountPlus but it happened on #Netflix as well.

What is wrong with the RokuRemote lately?!

I own Roku Ultra 2020.

0 Kudos
Wildangel
Reel Rookie

Perhaps this will help, I'm open to try anything to work:

If you find that the power and volume buttons only work sometimes, it is likely that your remote is using IR to send these commands to your TV. To confirm this is the case, first make sure you can adjust volume when pointing your remote directly at your TV. Next, cup your hand over the front of your remote, then point it away from your TV and try again. If volume cannot be adjusted using this test, your remote is using IR.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @AZ-MRG @Wildangel,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention, and we're interested to know more about this so it can be addressed. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

The information you provide is essential for us to work into.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

We're on our third Roku Ultra streamer in a year. Latest one installed today, 09/05/23. Within 3 hrs the remote volume control took off on its own to a 100 setting, just like the other replaced Ultras. Doesn't happen when we use the Sony factory controller for volume control. What up with all of this annoying!

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @9423,

Thanks for your first post here in the Roku Community, and we are grateful that you brought this to our attention.

Could you share with us if restarting your device or repairing your remote helped fix the issue? If not, we'd like to see more about what's going on here, and to better understand, we'll need your help by providing us with the details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing.

Once information is available, we'll be able to relay this to our engineering team for further review.

Keep us posted!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
indymitchell
Reel Rookie

My volume no longer works when I have the ear buds plugged into the remote.  When I scroll down the apps it automatically pushes to the cursor to the left.  Also, when selecting the asterict /star it automatically goes to Sling.  Can any of these be fixed or is the remote no longer usable?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @indymitchell,

Thank you for keeping us posted about this issue with the Roku remote!

We will be more than happy to assist you further. Please try the troubleshooting steps that had been provided by @RokuERey, and if the problem still persists. Please provide the following information given above.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
indymitchell
Reel Rookie

I just emailed you back with my ID and model info.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @indymitchell,

We didn't receive the information you have provided. You can just directly PM me or any of our moderators about it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.