Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

Roku remote going through batteries like crazy

Why is my Roku remote chewing up batteries like crazy? The first thing that usually happens is the volume controls stop working, even though it shows the battery level at 84%. Could it be because the microphone is listening all the time, even though I've selected never allow under microphone access, yet voice command still work? 

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote going through batteries like crazy

Hi @Spartan_Warrior,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku community.

We recognize that you're experiencing battery drain with your Roku remote.

Your Roku remote's batteries most likely ran out due to voice commands. However, if you press don't allow, you can never utilize it.

Refer to our support page for more information: Roku voice or simple remote.

Thanks,

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

For one I never use voice commands, so that is not draining my battery. For two, like I mentioned, it shows the batteries at 84%. Not sure I trust that however because the volume control and mute are not working. Only way to get them to work again is put a fresh set of batteries in

Furthermore as I also mentioned, I selected don't allow access to the mic, yet if I test it and give a voice command, the microphone is listening and responds. My guess is the microphones on all the time, and that's why the batteries drain so fast. 

0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

What's the warranty on the remote?

It may just be defective. 

0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

How do I go about having my remote replaced? Trying to get support on Roku's website is a nightmare. 

0 Kudos
RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Spartan_Warrior

Thanks for keeping us posted. We want to ask a few questions to understand the situation better.

We just want to confirm where and when did you buy your Roku remote? 

With more detailed information, we will be able to help you further. 

Thanks,

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

Purchased on Amazon in November of 2022.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Spartan_Warrior,

Thank you for your response!

We have escalated this remote issue to our appropriate Support team. Kindly keep an eye on your email inbox and keep your lines open, as one of our representatives will try to reach you.

Let us know if you still have other concerns or inquiries you'd like us to address, and we'd be more than happy to help.

Warm regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

My remote was replaced but the new replacement remote is now suffering from the same symptoms. The volume and mute buttons intermittently stop working. I also have to press super hard on the mute button to get it to respond. Although I like the Ruko player the remotes are super cheap and ruin the whole experience. Does Ruku offer a more robust remote? If not I'm going to scrape this player and move on to something else. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Spartan_Warrior,

Thanks for posing here at the Roku Community!

We appreciate you bearing with us. No worries. We're here to find you the best resolution possible. Have you tried to reset your Roku remote by pressing and holding the Back and Home button simultaneously for about 20 seconds to reset it? If not, we highly suggest so. After that, try to re-pair your remote. 

Moreover, please be aware that when your device is connected to a network connection, so is your remote (to utilize the voice command even if it's not in use). This may be a possibility for your battery issues. Please let us know if the issue still persists after performing the troubleshooting process above and we'd be more than willing to further assist you with this.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.