Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

Re: Roku remote going through batteries like crazy

Does Roku offer a remote without the voice command option? Don't use it, don't need it, tired of the battery drain issue. 

0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

I've repeatedly sent emails to Roku telling them the replacement remote they sent me is now having the same issues as the original remote. Goes through batteries like crazy, and even with 60% battery life left, the mute and volume controls stop working.  I've asked for a replacement remote that doesn't connect to the network since Roku said that's why it goes through batteries so fast. No response from Roku going on two weeks now. 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Spartan_Warrior,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with your Roku remote. What Roku device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV; specify TV) Please be advised that your remote will depend on the compatibility of your Roku device. A simple remote—the one that does not use voice command—uses invisible infrared (IR) light to transmit button presses over a short distance and is only compatible with many Roku TV models and some streaming players, such as the current-generation Roku Express and Roku Premiere. On the other hand, please follow these steps below to fix the volume and mute buttons of your remote that have stopped working:

1. Navigate to Settings.
  2. Select Remotes & devices.
  3. Select Remotes followed by your remote.
  4. Select Set up remote for TV control.

You can also check here for more details as to why your Roku voice remote is not controlling the power and volume of your TV.

We hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

The remote has already been set up and was working fine for a while. The problem is it eats batteries like crazy because it's always connected to the network. When the batteries reach 60 to 50%, the volume and mute function only work intermittently. 

I have a Roku 4K streaming stick, which I think a basic remote would work with. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Spartan_Warrior,

We really do appreciate you keeping us posted about this. Please be advised that the amount of time that the batteries in your remote will last will vary greatly depending on how often you use it. Nevertheless, we will make it a point to alert our team about the behavior that is taking place.

Again, your time and effort are much appreciated. Thanks!

Warm regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

The Remote that came with the 4K streaming stick is a battery hog became as explained to me by someone from Roku it's always connected to the network. 

The other issue is the volume and mute function stop working even with over 50% battery left. I would like this remote replaced under warranty with a basic remote that doesn't have the voice input feature.

0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

Cricks 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Spartan_Warrior,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Can we have your Roku device information such as Device ID, Serial Number, Model Number, and OS version? We'd like to see how we can further assist you from here.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

Found this thread that is 10 pages long with people having the same issues as me, that's been going on for two years!!!!  

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/How-to-fix-Roku-remote-that-constantly-stops-working-even-with...

It's obvious that Roku isn't interested in addressing the lousy performance of their remotes. They replaced my enhanced remote once, but the new remote is having the exact same issues. Not having a reliable functioning remote totally taints my opinion of Roku and their customer service. I'll never buy or recommend any of Roku's products ever again. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.