Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku screen won't stop scrolling when remote is pointed at it

Jump to solution

@Sweaters

Thanks for the post.

If you remove the batteries from the remote does the issue still occur? Have you made sure that none of the directional buttons are stuck or lodged? Have you tried replacing the batteries in the remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue with the steps outlined above, can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gojira54

Jump to solution

Obviously there is no fix for this common problem, since this thread is 2 years old without a solution.  Roku remotes eventually just die, apparently, and all you can do is buy another unit.  Or does RokuDanny have a better response than telling us to send the serial number while never actually providing a solution?

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Gojira54 wrote:

Roku remotes eventually just die, apparently,

If the remotes die after only a couple of days, then that’s literally your bad luck.  Their death after a couple of days is usually due to either defective batteries or the fact that you need to see the device if the remote is standard IR.  This is why Roku supplies WiFi Direct / RF remotes now.  Standard IR remotes require the Roku device to be seen.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Gojira54,

Thanks for the post! 

I'd be happy to look closely to see how we can help. 

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? 

In addition, have you tried running the steps on this link to get your remote back up and running? How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working | Official Roku Support

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
lingoo

Jump to solution

Hi Danny @RokuDanny-R 

I am experiencing the same issues, but unable to personal message you. My Roku remote won't stop scrolling down, and it won't allow me to click any buttons, switch sources and exit the roku, or even turn off the TV. I tried replacing the batteries, unplugging the roku, and factory resetting it. At this point the roku has taken over my TV and won't allow me to do anything else. Please help.

@RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @lingoo,

Thanks for letting us know all that you've done! Appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far.

In addition to the steps you've done, have you checked to make sure that the button isn't lodged or stuck?

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
lingoo

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuMary-F 

I have checked that all the buttons are not lodged or broken. The screen appears to be moving on it's own. The scrolling only stops when I cover the sensor.

0 Kudos
Barinkus

Jump to solution

I just bought my Express last week. All brand new. Today, I can’t select anything because it won’t stop scrolling. This happens if I use the remote that it came with, and the remote via the Roku app. I tried resetting, and now I can’t set it up because I can’t enter my password. About to chuck this thing. Please tell me there is a **bleep** fix.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Barinkus,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We apologize for the inconvenience. We would like to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue. As a first step, we recommend removing and reinserting the batteries then removing the power cable from your Roku device, waiting 5 seconds, and then re-connect the cable if this helps resolve the issue.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this Support link

If you are still having any issues with your Roku device after following these steps, please provide your Roku device's serial number so we can assist further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This is obviously a problem everyone is having. I’m going through this as well , so funny how they try to give types to remove the batteries. Obviously just **bleep** remotes they sell.