Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Express4K/Stick 4K remote battery drain issue

Jump to solution

Hi @jas100,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

I apologize for the late catch-up on this issue. Please be aware that this issue is currently under investigation. I'll need your help and also drop you a PM for further assistance.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Express4K/Stick 4K remote battery drain issue

Jump to solution

Hi Community users!

We are currently investigating this issue and working on a resolution; in the meantime, we recommend restarting your Roku device by navigating to the Home screen. Scroll up or down to select Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart

In addition, reboot your physical Roku remote by following the steps provided below:

If your voice remote uses standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries, you can reboot it by removing and reinstalling the batteries.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Re-insert the negative (-) end of a battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place
  4. Repeat the previous step to install the second battery
  5. Put the battery cover back on your remote

Furthermore, your patience and understanding are highly appreciated as we work on/investigate this ongoing issue. 

Note: We'll mark this post as solved, but if the instructions above don't resolve the issue, please let us know or reply to this thread for further assistance. We're here to help, and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Best regards,
The Roku Community Team.

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Newfdog

Remote batteries drain in hours

Jump to solution

I have 4k streaming stick and it’s remote suddenly started draining batteries in hours. 
Not months like normal. Having seen this in the forums many times I would think a probable cause would have been identified. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote batteries drain in hours

Jump to solution

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Newfdog.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Rest assured that the team is working closely to resolve this case.

In the meantime, kindly refer to the post above for troubleshooting steps. If the issue persists, feel free to reach out.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mikki_1977

Roku remote batteries draining

Jump to solution

My remote batteries for my Roku keep draining.  I am having to replace the batteries weekly.  Is there a solution for this issue?  I have the Roku Express 4K+ without private listening.  This was just bought about 3 months ago.

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remote batteries draining

Jump to solution

These remotes are junk, total power suckers draining the batteries even when you are not using your Roku. All the troubleshooting steps Roku will suggest will be copy and pasted nonsense from a script of steps that never work.

The best advice I can give as someone who has experienced excessive battery drain for years is to remove your batteries when you are done using your Roku.

Put the batteries back in only when you are using the device, this will significantly increase how long the batteries last because the remote will not be sucking power while the remote just sits there unused.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Mikki_1977.

We appreciate you for sharing your concern about the battery-draining issue you've encountered on your physical Roku remote. I can assure you that the team is working closely to determine the cause and help you find the best resolution.

In the meantime, troubleshooting steps are provided above this post. Kindly try to perform those steps to see if they make any difference. If the issue persists, please don't hesitate to let us know.

We'll be looking forward to your update!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
Mikki_1977

Jump to solution

Yeah none of those steps helped.  I have already tried that again and again.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update, @Mikki_1977.

We appreciate the efforts you've made in trying to troubleshoot your physical Roku remote. 

In this case, I can assure you that the team is working closely to determine the cause and help find the best resolution. Furthermore, I would be happy to coordinate this with our Support team for additional reinforcement.

With this being said, I will contact you via Private Message to gather further information, such as the email address associated with your Roku account.

In the meantime, you may use the Roku Mobile app as an alternative to your physical remote as we work on this. This mobile app is a free application for iOS® and Android devices that turns your mobile device into a control center for your Roku streaming player or Roku TV system. The Remote feature of the mobile app allows you to use your phone or tablet as a Roku remote.

For reference, visit this support article dedicated to this: How to use the Roku mobile app to control your Roku streaming device without a remote

Thank you for bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KraftyS

Batteries draining fast (<1 day), have to reseat them after x minutes to get the remote to work

Jump to solution

Hi.  My batteries are draining by 50% or more within a day.  I almost always have to reset the batteries into the back of the remote to get it to start working again.   It then works properly for a short while (e.g. minutes - maybe an hour) but then I have to reset them again even if I haven't turned to tv off.  On occasion, pushing a button like select results in the volume going to 0.

I have a Roku Streaming stick+ (model 3810x) with voice remote (remote - RC399).  Its power source is plugged into a strip, so it is not powered by the TV.  I have a Samsung TV (model UN55JS8500FXZA) and the stick is plugged into the Samsung one-connect mini (external box) so it is not behind the tv nor in an enclosed area.  It has worked properly with this same setup for a long time.

I have seen an overheat message a couple of times - mostly when weather was very hot - but not the issue today yet still not working properly.

When I try to re-pair the remote by holding back and home, the light on the back flashes, but nothing pops up to help me re-pare so I'm not sure what to do that way.  I then have gone to settings -> voice remote - > -> set up and can re-pair that way; however, this doesn't solve the problem of needing to reinsert the batteries nor the battery drain problem.  I did a factory reset th other day and still no fix;.

I am on the most recent software - 13.0.0 build 24056.

Please help as I don't know what else to try.  It's very frustrating to constantly have to reinsert batteries and even more to have to replace over and over...  Thanks, in advance, for your help.

I have re-pared the remote and even done a factory reset.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.