Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MNMarty
Binge Watcher

Remote no controlling LG TV volume and power

I did my due diligence. Tried everything suggested here. My voice remote for the 4K streaming stick used to work just fine. Now all of a sudden it stopped controlling the TV.

I have re-paired the remote, removed batteries, unplugged the streaming stick, changed wireless networks, made sure the LG TV is set to SIMPLINK. Nothing allows me to stop hearing the music during remote setup.

TV and Roku are up to date. Even reset the Roku and the TV. That was fun!

Using TV speakers. No attached equipment.

I can press Microphone button on Roku Remote and ask Roku to turn off TV power. It does.

Model 3820RW streaming stick 4K

SN X01700AD7CS0

Software version 13.1.4 build 1510-CU

Device ID S090419D7CS0

LG TV SM8100AUA

Any help to get back to normal would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Remote no controlling LG TV volume and power

@MNMarty Do you access to the remote for the LG TV?  If so does the TV remote work to change the volume and power the TV on/off?  If not it sounds like the IR sensor on the TV has gone bad.

0 Kudos
MNMarty
Binge Watcher

The LG TV remote works perfectly. So IR receiver not an issue.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @MNMarty,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you bringing to our attention that your Roku remote has stopped controlling the power and volume of your LG TV. Thank you for trying all possible troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. We are pleased to assist you.

We have taken the necessary steps to forward your information to the appropriate Roku team for a thorough investigation. 

When did the issue start? Is this the original remote for your Roku Stick? 

Please provide us with the Tracker ID: 

• Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)

We look forward to working with you to help resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MNMarty
Binge Watcher

The issue started a few days ago. Prior to that everything worked just fine. But now the TV and Roku have been reset and remote re-paired, so nothing is the same as it was. I did the Tracker ID after trying for the millionth time to get the remote to turn the music off.

Issue ID S0-290-572

Thanks for any help with this

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@MNMarty,

Thanks for the information,

Once more information becomes available, we will update this Community thread. Thank you for your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Regards,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@MNMarty-

Re-pairing the remote usually refers to pairing the remote to the Roku it is to control.

Getting the remote to send the right IR commands to control the TV power, volume, and mute functions is a different process. If this is not what you meant by re-pairing...

Roku menu path:
"Settings -> Remotes & devices > Remotes"
At this point if your remote has already been setup for the tv but you need to reset it, arrow down to select your Remote (in use).
Now select "Set up remote for TV control" .. And follow the prompts

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
MNMarty
Binge Watcher

I re-paired with the Roku since previous posts recommended this. Then I went through the steps to control TV volume and power. That is why I am hearing the music for a million times and never selecting "No."

I have tried to do the steps to control volume and power multiple times. I re-paired the remote to the Roku because others have suggested that would help.

0 Kudos
techhead51
Binge Watcher

I have an LG nano85una tv, for the longest time ️ I could only use the ir on the roku ultra 4802x.

Lg did a firmware update a few months ago and I  was able to setup the roku to use cec.

My system has a avr connected to the tv via arc on hdmi port 3.

But even with the firmware update for the tv, devices connected through the avr would not be detected,  the avr would either not turn on or the tv would not, for the roku I could see the power on light.

On the tv it would also revert back to internal speakers and at times turn off hdmi power on and off and cec functions. 

Having amazon fire devices had even worse results. 

Using the ir profile was limited,  it could not turn the tv on or off, only the audio functions worked. 

Every time I start the tv, either with the remote or from external devices , I go directly to the connection settings to check if everything is available.

I would try to change the profile on the roku to use the other setting.

0 Kudos
MNMarty
Binge Watcher

I get what you are saying but my situation is a little different. My remote controlled the TV for over a year now and suddenly stopped.

The stick is directly connected to the Arc HDMI port in the back.
When the TV is powered up by the LG remote, the Roku is automatically selected as the input.

So everything is working as it should. It's just that the Roku remote can no longer control TV volume and power.

It's interesting that the CEC setup doesn't work but the voice command to turn off the TV is accepted and works. Go figure.

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.