Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laknox
Binge Watcher

Roku 3 and Roku Ultra both losing functions

I know that at least one other person has had this issue with at least 2 Roku Sticks, but I've not found anything regarding the boxes.  That poster has a couple Ultra boxes and reported no issues with them.

As stated, I have a Roku 3 with voice remote and a Roku Ultra, also with voice remote.  Both are hardwired into a gigabit network.  Recently, I've noticed that I've started losing volume control on both devices.  The only thing that seems to fix things is by exiting whatever we're watching, then restarting that show.  I've not noticed that other functions have started to fail, as reported elsewhere.  I speaking with my daughter this morning, she told me that they're having the same issue with their 2 Roku boxes, and that they are losing functions.  The only "solution" to these issues seems to be either a restart via the setup menu or simply unplugging the power and doing a reset this way. The last post in that thread seems to be from Roku directly that they're "aware of the problem".  This was the end of March and I've updated all my Roku boxes but it seems to be only the 3 and Ultra I have with the voice remotes.

Any advice / solutions appreciated.

Lyle

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku 3 and Roku Ultra both losing functions

Hi @laknox,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community.

We understand that you are having some issues with your remote buttons not working, and we can help you with that.

May we know what specific functions of your remote are no longer working?

What to do if the power and volume buttons stop working?

If the power and volume buttons on your remote have stopped working entirely, try to update your Roku device to the most recent software. To manually update your software:

1. Navigate to Settings
  2. Select System
  3. Select System update
  4. Select Check now

Confirm the dialogue box to proceed with download and and installation. Note that your Roku player will automatically download the latest software the next time when it checks for update. After the Roku player finishes restarting, if TV control has not been restored, setup your remote for TV control again by doing the following:

1. Navigate to Settings
  2. Select Remotes & devices
  3. Select Remotes followed by your remote
  4. Select Set up remote for TV control

Our FAQ provides additional information and complete steps on how to set up your voice remote to control your TV.

Please feel free to let us know if you need any additional assistance!
Best regards,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
laknox
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku 3 and Roku Ultra both losing functions

Did all that before.  Still was having issues with the volume either not working or changing without input.

Too bad you deleted my post with the instructions to access the "secret menu" that allows the =remote= firmware to be updated directly and seems to fix the problems.

So far, the update via the "secret menu" seems to be working and all voice remote functions are working as they should, but it's only been about 24 hours and no new updates have shoved down the pipe, that I can tell.

Lyle

0 Kudos