Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Remote Control Battery Pop Up

Jump to solution

I hope that solves your issue but I doubt it will last long. I have had this battery pop up problem on several different Roku remotes and models over the years. So just ditching your current Roku remote and then getting a brand new one isn't a permanent solution.

I believe this is a defect in either the hardware design in the remotes, or bad software design which is not meshing well with the remote hardware and is causing the malfunctioning pop up. That is my opinion on what this issue is likely caused by.

I think these badly designed remotes are constantly losing Wi-Fi connection while not in use and when the remote automatically reconnects while you are watching a video the pop up appears. Because somebody at Roku programmed the software to display the pop up any time the remote reestablishes the connection, which was very stupid. So this isn't just an issue of a malfunctioning pop up but a malfunctioning remote that can't stay connected properly depending on your Wi-Fi.

Roku needs to fix this on their end. If the Roku engineers/programmers (the ones responsible for creating these pop ups and inserting them in the first place) just got rid of the pop ups completely from the software that would solve this issue forever. Because let's face it, nobody needs a pop up on their TV screen to  let them know what the battery level is.

Anyone can go into the Settings on the Home Screen and navigate over to the Remote Settings section and check the battery level anytime they want, you don't need Roku popping it up randomly when you don't want to see it.

Or, like people have been doing for decades before Wi-Fi devices were invented, you can just change your batteries or charge your remote when you notice that pressing buttons no longer activates the functions on your remote! Then you know your battery is dying and you can take the appropriate action!

The pop up isn't just an annoyance because it's malfunctioning, but it's completely annoying because it's unnecessary. Also the "Hands Free Voice" pop up on the Voice Remote Pros is another pops up that sometimes appears when you don't want it to, that has to go as well.

Roku better doing something about this once and for all because this has clearly gone on way too long. @RokuCarly assures us this is being taken care of as we speak, let's see if that is the case and if so how long it takes.

PurpleLady4469
Reel Rookie

Remote indicator on screen every couple of minutes

Jump to solution

Not only is the remote control indicator popping up every minute, it's reducing the battery life as well as affecting performance. Any button I push, there is a noticeable pause and then it performs whatever action I push several times. Very frustrating. I've tried resetting the unit and repairing the remote. I think the remote is stuck in pairing mode as the green pairing light keeps flashing. Since the remote is a rechargeable, changing the batteries is not an option. Any suggestions welcome!

RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote indicator on screen every couple of minutes

Jump to solution

Hello @PurpleLady4469,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We apologize for the inconvenience you're facing. We understand how frustrating this can be.

Occasionally, the remote battery level appears in the top right corner of your screen. If you see this notification frequently, it might indicate low battery levels.

Check and confirm your Roku voice remote's battery:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku voice remote.
  2. Navigate to Settings.
  3. Select Remotes & devices.
  4. Choose Remotes and then select your remote (You may have multiple remotes paired: Voice Remote, Voice Remote Pro, etc).
  5. Select About to view the battery level.

If the battery is below 15%, we recommend replacing or recharging it.

If you've confirmed the battery level is sufficient but continue to see low battery notifications, please follow these steps:

Restart your remote

• If your rechargeable voice remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button on the back of the remote for 20 seconds.

• If your rechargeable voice remote doesn't have a pairing button, press and hold the Back and Home buttons on the Roku remote for 20 seconds.

• Disable any extra remotes that are not in use in your TV settings.

To disable a remote:

• For AAA/AA battery remotes: Remove the batteries.
  • For rechargeable remotes: Press and hold Back, Home, and Mute for 5 seconds to power it off.

Monitor if the frequent notifications persist after disabling extra remotes.

To re-enable a disabled remote:

• For AAA/AA battery remotes: Reinstall the batteries.
  • Repair remote: For rechargeable remotes with a pairing button, hold it for 5 seconds. Otherwise, press and hold Back and Home for 5 seconds before re-pairing if necessary.

To help troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link: How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working | Official Roku Support

Note: We'll mark this post as solved for visibility and as a reference for other users.

Please try these steps and let us know if they help resolve the issue you're experiencing.

Best regards,
The Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PurpleLady4469
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mary,

The problem is continuing. My rechargeable remote is continuously pairing creating the on screen notification as well as draining the battery. Thank goodness it's rechargeable since I have recharge it every day. If I don't plug it in at night, it will be dead in the morning even though the system is powered down. I am still having performance issues as when it is repairing, there is a pause in responding to my selections.

I do not have any other Roku remote paired to this system.  I have tried removing and repairing with no resolution of the problem.

Very frustrated! 

RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @PurpleLady4469,

Thank you for your continued assistance and for troubleshooting to help resolve the issue.

We understand the inconvenience this has caused and want to assist you further. Could you please specify which remote model you're using (Roku Voice Remote, Roku Voice Remote Pro, or Roku Voice Remote Pro 2nd edition)? Please provide the serial number/device ID of the Roku device.

Additionally, when you check the battery level from settings, what percentage does it show?

Your responses will help us gather the necessary details to address the issue effectively. We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,
The Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PurpleLady4469
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mary,

I am using the Voice Roku Pro, Model RC795. I plug the remote in last night and right now, it is sitting at 84 percent. I've only used it to select Pandora today, nothing else other than to pull up information on the remote.

Some additional info:

MAC address: BC:D7:D4:A7:DA:D4

Firmware version: rtn.4246

Voice capture FW: en_US, 0024

Just in typing this response, the remote percentage dropped by 1 percent just sitting next to me.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for the infromation, @PurpleLady4469.

Rest assured that we have already coordinated this with the team for review. Once we've been notified of any updates from the team, we will keep you posted.

Your continuous patience and understanding as we work on this are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PurpleLady4469
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Now I'm getting really frustrated. I know about the battery levels. I know about the pairing. I've done all of the below. I am not technically challenged as your responses seem to be implying.

There is clearly a problem with the rechargeable Voice Pro remote as it is continuously pairing with the system drawing down the battery and affecting the general operation of the remote. I don't know how to make myself more clear on this. I need the pairing to stop running continuously.

What do we need to do to stop this?!? Or do I need a replacement remote?

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the added infromation, @PurpleLady4469.

Rest assured that I will coordinate this with our Support team for additional reinforcement. I will reach out to you via Private Message to gather further personal details so we can proceed.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding as we continue to work on this.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

How about Roku just finally giving us a new remote setting to fully disable all battery notification pop ups? Or better yet just remove this malfunctioning pop up from the software completely! Since it's not only completely unnecessary, but it's always malfunctioning and popping up on the screen when it isn't supposed to!

This has been a complete annoyance to the user for years! I can see Roku is still playing games and not taking this seriously. Stop telling users to go through all of these useless steps like pulling out their batteries and re-pairing their remotes, this does not work! Just remove the pop ups so they never appear again!

The Roku programmers created these pop ups, they didn't just appear magically within the software. So you guys are responsible for this problem. Just remove them! Or are you guys just too lazy or stubborn to do this?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.