Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMH2023
Channel Surfer

Roku TV crashing after an update

After an automatic update forced my Roku TV in to a boot loop, I have been dismissed, disrespected and flat out lied to by four seperate members of Roku's customer service team. Two of whom were "supervisors". Thankfully, I recorded our phone conversations and filed screenshots of all transcripts (I requested a copy of the online chat transcript along with a callback, only to be informed Roku would call within 36 hours... That was two weeks ago. I also did not receive any form of the transcript).

In total, I have now been waiting over 7 weeks for my ticket #8398703 to be addressed. After dozens of unsuccessful hard-reset attempts, one agent suggested a technician could be sent out or Roku could simply replace the TV, but neither of these solutions were followed up on. The TV I purchased was originally found through the company's website, which is no longer advertised as an option for purchase. 

I had an electrician test the TV, it's power cord and even the outlet in my home with a Voltmeter to confirm the TV's hardware was in good working condition and not the issue. I spoke several times with the manufacturer and they also confirmed that the issue is clearly with the television's Operating System, for which Roku is responsible.

I was then told by a particularly rude Roku customer service representative that my TV does not qualify as a Roku-branded TV despite having Roku etched into it, a start up screen that clearly advertises it as a Roku-branded TV, as well as a box that has the company's name sprawled across 25% of it along with large bolded words that read ROKU TV.

The boot loop issue began immediately following an automatic update, which I was not given the option to avoid. This act of software sabotage is being investigated as forced and/or planned obsolescence, implemented by Roku. I would like to invite others with similar experiences (so far I've seen atleast half a dozen identical posts within this community) to reach out and add themselves to the grievance being filed with BBB. My local Consumer Protections Bureau is also opening a file, to which others with similar issues may also be added. If any of what I've described sounds like an issue you've encountered, I hope to hear from you. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@JMH2023 

Just to offer for your own clarification (so you have a better idea of expectations with Roku).

A "Roku-branded" TV is one of the newer TVs that is actually "manufactured" by Roku.  This is a recent venture made by Roku.(currently available for purchase only through Best Buy).  In such cases, Roku will directly handle warranty issues. 

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-tv/roku-made-tvs

All other RokuTVs are made by other manufacturers who license and install the RokuOS into their TVs. (Insignia, TCL, Onn RokuTVs, etc) . In these cases, the television manufacturer is responsible for warranty issues.

Unfortunately, yes, they all say RokuTV.  Generally, Roku-branded RokuTV will be lower center of faceframe, while other partner RokuTVs will be in the lower corner.

Basic warranty info/contact support can be found in this thread  https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-support-warranty-resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

-----

Can certainly understand your frustration, but I think some may have been been from misunderstanding/lack of clarity regarding the sometimes/often confusing practices by Roku.  

Since you state you haven't heard from Support in awhile, hopefully the mods here can provide some info and reach out to them again.  Likely, you should also reach out to the manufacturer of your RokuTV to see if anything can be done as well. (found in above link).

Paging @RokuMary-F , @RokuJohnB , @RokuCarly , @RokuEuniceL , @RokuERey 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

JMH2023
Channel Surfer

AvsGunnar,

Thank you for the clarification! It is much appreciated. 

The link you provided was helpful in my understanding of Roku's definition of "Roku-branded TVs". I was at fault when I assumed the TV I found through the Roku website under ROKU TV'S was a Roku-branded television. 

Unfortunately I have been in contact with the manufacturer on four seperate occasions now, with each conversation ending without resolution. 

Although the current warranty is valid, the only solution the manufacturer could suggest was replacement of the TV's motherboard, which would be at a cost to me. This is because their warranty only covers physical parts+repairs, and there is nothing physically wrong with any of the TV's components as confirmed by an electrician. The issue lies with the TV's operating system, which must be assessed and resolved by Roku before any parts are installed/replaced. They also pointed to Roku's user agreement, which states that Roku is responsible for addressing all software issues in their devices, regardless of the manufacturer. This case falls under that category. 

Again, I very appreciative to receive any contact and feedback regarding this issue. I am hopeful Roku's Customer Service Team will develop like-minded communication skills in time, despite an abundance of evidence to the contrary.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Just a note about recording phone conversations: Be aware that if the other party does not consent to being recorded, it could be illegal. At the minimum, it would not be admissible as evidence in any court case. The law varies from sate to state.

0 Kudos
JMH2023
Channel Surfer

Roku records all phone conversations "for quality control and training". If one party records, it is legal for both parties to record. Believe me, I spoke with the Consumer Protections Bureau regarding this matter when I began filing the grievance. 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Well, there’s another reason that I continue to think a Roku connected to a TV is better than a “Roku TV” – no finger pointing over who warranties the TV.  Sheesh!

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
JMH2023
Channel Surfer

Right?! If I had known they were going to deflect this much when it comes to providing basic support and customer service for the products advertised through their own website I would have never purchased this model of TV in the first place. My brother had issues with his Fire TV's operating system and it was resolved by Amazon within a week. Lesson learned.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @JMH2023.

Firstly, we sincerely apologize for any trouble and inconvenience this may have caused you and appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. 

We have acknowledged your concern and reviewed your ticket with our Support team. Rest assured that we will coordinate with the appropriate Roku team to investigate your concern further, and we'll provide an update here once we hear from them. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can be of assistance with, and we'd be more than happy to continue doing so. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
JMH2023
Channel Surfer

Carly,

Thank you for acknowledging my concerns and reviewing the issues I've raised with regards to my ticket. This means a lot to my wife and I. 

I am a proud Ojibwe, and our people have a word, bizindaage, which roughly translates to the act of communication. More accurately, it means the act of both speaking and listening with another person. Throughout my experience thus far with Roku in regards to this ticket, I have yet to feel heard despite speaking with many different levels of customer service representatives. Your kind words have been the first we have encountered, and they have helped us feel confident a resolution can still be reached.

There is no formal "hello" in the Ojibwe language, but rather the word "Aaniin" which translates to "I acknowledge your light". We now have hope that your acknowledgement may also help to shed some light on the issues we've faced in regards to the malfunction of our TV's software, and subsequent loss of use. This has cost us nearly two months worth of access to the subscription services for which we have still been charged by Roku, as well as the routine comfort we once received from our Roku TV.

Looking forward to hearing from you and your team,

Joshua M Harris 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JMH2023,

Thanks for your response!

The team is hard at work investigating the issue, we still haven't received any feedback back as of the moment, but rest assured that we'll send the update once we have it.

We appreciate your patience while we investigate this issue.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos