Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MsAntipodes1
Channel Surfer

Re: Unable to Cast to Roku TV

2 X Phones one Android 12 another Android 11 - TV is TCL 50" Roku with 12.5 Firmware.

After a Factory re-set if I enable Screen Mirroring and then cast to the TV 2 pear symbols (which indicates pairing) is momentarily displayed and then the phones connect.

I can then cast my screen to the TV withput problem.

But, if I turn off cast on the phone, I can not cast to the TV again.

The phone finds the TV but says it's not available.

The only way I can get casting to work is to do another factory re-set - but then once again I can only cast once.

Conclusion -

So obviously it IS possible to Screen Mirror from an Android device to my TV but then maybe something in the Roku firmware prevents further mirroring.

Can you please suggest a work-around?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MsAntipodes1,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with mirroring your screen with your Roku TV. Kindly try to restart the system before mirroring instead of resetting it. You can restart your Roku TV from Settings > System > Power > System restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

Let us know how it goes, and we'll be happy to further assist you.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MsAntipodes1
Channel Surfer

Hello Eunice,

Thank-you for yourquick respnse.

I have tried the power - system restart as you suggest but that did not solve the issue.

It looks as if the latest update may be causing this problem which many have reported.

Is there anyway of rolling back the firmware to the previous version?

Regards

Rikki

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MsAntipodes1,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

You seem to have done a great job troubleshooting the issue. No worries! We will be more than happy to assist you further. Please follow the steps below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select screen mirroring.
  5. After you open the screen mirroring settings, choose a setting to adjust.
    • Screen mirroring mode: Select one of the choices to define how an incoming screen mirroring request is handled.
      • Prompt: Each time a screen mirroring request is made, your Roku device will display an on-screen prompt, except in the case where ‘Always accept’ was selected from the prompt for a specific device.
      • Always allow: A request from any device to mirror or cast its screen will be accepted without an on-screen prompt appearing.
      • Never allow: Always block a screen mirroring request from any device without an on-screen prompt appearing. This is essentially a way to disable screen mirroring on your Roku device.
    • Screen mirroring devices: Select a device in the list of ‘Allowed devices’ or ‘Blocked devices’ and choose to remove it. It is expected that either list will be empty if ‘Always accept’ or ‘Always ignore’ has never been selected from the screen mirroring prompt.

If the problem still persists, please let us know.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MsAntipodes1
Channel Surfer

Hi John,

Yes I always carryout the steps as you have detailed and, after a factory re-set, my phone and my Tv pair and I can screen mirror.

However, as I explained I can only screen mirror after a factory re-set and then only once.

As soon as I stop casting or return to Home I cannot cast again.

My phone is shown in ‘Allowed devices’ after doing the above.

My Roku TV is also shown on my phone as "wireless display" but cannot connect to the TV - say "it's "unavailable".

Additionally, If I attempt to screen mirror from my Windows laptop it shows the TV but has the message "available for specific video sites"

Summary -

Screen mirroing works perfectly immediately after a "factory re-set" but only once and is not repeatable.

Regards

Rikki

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for providing the information, @MsAntipodes1

We'd like to gather more details regarding this to we can take action. Kindly provide the following information below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur specifically on the Roku TV channel? If so, what version/build is the channel? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

Your response would be much appreciated.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MsAntipodes1
Channel Surfer

Screen mirroring works perfectly immediately after a "factory re-set" but only once and is not repeatable.

If I return to Home or end casting from my phone I am unable to screen mirror again unless I carry-out a "factory re-set" again.

2.jpg1.jpg

0 Kudos
MsAntipodes1
Channel Surfer

Re: Unable to Cast to Roku TV * FIXED*

I have made some changes to my phone's network properties and can now successfully screen mirror.

Thank-you for your many suggestions and fast response to my enquiries.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
draogtech

Please what changes did you make to the phone network properties? I'm currently facing same issue

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @draogtech!

Thanks for reaching out about the casting feature on your Roku streaming device. 

Regarding this matter, we don't have any information yet. Would you mind telling us more about the issue you are referring to? Are you having trouble with using the cast feature? If so, kindly let us know which Roku streaming device to which you are trying to connect your mobile phone (please specify the model). 

In addition, here's our Support article that might help you use this feature:

We'll be patiently waiting for your response, as we are more than willing to help you out with this.

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.