Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JennSm

Re: TCL 55" Roku TV screen is black but audio is still coming out

Replacing the LEDs is not hard at all however finding out which LEDs are for the TV is almost impossiable, has been for me anyway. Apparently you can only find replacement parts online as well, non of the retailers sell them.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@JennSm , I haven't done this. But, I thought shopjimmy has that info (which parts go for which tv models.). Seems like they'd know what a particular brand/model uses (or what you need to look for. A part number on an existing strip?).

I would think that the hard part is determining whether the problem is one of the boards (power, tcon or motherboard). Or, if it's one of the backlight strips. I've seen videos showing how to narrow things down, but you need some tools. 

I've seen shopjimmy sells all the boards as a package. The idea being just replace them all for $50, and cross your fingers. If that doesn't work, then replace the strips (assuming SJ knows what you need, or how you can discover what you need). It looks like a person could have $120 USD into all of that.

I think the risk would be that something is definitely happening with Roku's software updates (breaking tvs). Some kind of hardware variation Roku didn't test for. Maybe a revision to a tv model, a board in a model. Nobody knows. Something like that is definitely happening. So, if the black screen were due to that, it's possible all the new parts would be the same revision, and same problem. Nobody's trying to understand what the failure is with Roku's software. Roku blames tv makers. They blame Roku (rightfully). Another risk would be that one of these shotgun-approach boards/strips would fix the problem, and then the next untested Roku software update would break it again. IMO, the only way to safely use a Roku TV is disconnected from the internet. A "dumb tv" that you stream through an external device connected to HDMI. At that point, is it really worth putting more money into?

It's the classic prisoner's dilemma. It's not fun to have such bad choices. If Roku let us disable updates, and roll back to a prior update which worked, it wouldn't be so abusive. Android does. If your tv goes black, you could go back to a prior update to see if it's black too. Then you'd have a better assurance that it really is a hardware failure. You wouldn't risk pouring money into something that the software has left behind.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Julie47

Re: TV Screen

My Roku tv has sound but no picture just a white screen

0 Kudos
Julie47

My tv just has sound and a white screen

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Julie47,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

If you are having an issue with your Roku TV screen going blank but can still hear the audio, customers have reported that unplugging your device for 5-10 minutes then plugging the Roku TV back resolves the issue.

If the issue still persists, you'll need to get in touch with the manufacturer of your Roku TV. You can locate their support contact information here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos

I have unplugged the tv for over 10 mins. Done everything else that people have recommended still have black screen with audio.  

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @fullmetalraven

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried contacting the TV manufacturer to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

You can contact TCL Support here: https://support.tcl.com/us or at 1-877-300-8837.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Chelle01

I think we should report them to the Atty General or Consumer Protection Bureau in our State. There is no way they are not aware of the faulty product they're selling to consumers. This should be classified as malicious and exploitative. I wish I knew how to initiate a suit because I'd certainly move forward with it. The complaints online prove the manufacturer/developer(s) knowingly peddle these JUNK designs to the public.

0 Kudos
Chelle01

You're no help, Danny. Give us some worthy and useful responses for goodness's sake!

0 Kudos