Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vgatkinson1
Binge Watcher

Screensaver comes up when turn tv on

Every time I turn the Power on button on my Roku remote to turn tv on the screensaver immediately shows up. If I hit any other button on the remote it will turn it off and go to Home Screen. It has not done this before. Now every time I turn tv on it shows up first thing. The remote is only about 6 months old, I have unplugged, restarted it, paried it, and changed batteries. I have a streaming stick 4k. 

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Screensaver comes up when turn tv on

Hi @Vgatkinson1,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We'd like to know more about the issue that you're experiencing with the Roku remote. Could you send us a photo or video of your running issue? In the meantime, please try these troubleshooting steps below.

1. Press Home on your Roku voice remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Remotes and Devices.
  4. Select Remote.
  5. Choose your voice remote from the list and select Set up remote for TV control.
  6. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Vgatkinson1
Binge Watcher

Thank you for replying. I tried your suggestion several times but it didn’t help the issue. 
When I want to turn the tv on I will use the red power button on the Roku remote. Instead of when the tv comes on and the Home Screen showing up, the screensaver will be on. When I press the home button or any button on the remote and then it will go to the home screen on the TV. I’m trying to figure out how to get the screen saver from coming immediately on every time I turn the TV on.  It has not done this in the past and just started doing it.  

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted @Vgatkinson1,

We see that your screensaver immediately shows up when turning on your TV. Let's try to change the wait time of your Roku device to see if you experience the same issue. You can define the amount of time your Roku device waits before starting the screensaver using the following instructions.

1. Open the Theme menu using steps 1-3 above
  2. Select Screensaver wait time
  3. Choose the amount of time to wait, or choose to disable the screensaver
  4. Press OK OK button on Roku remote on your Roku remote to save

After this, kindly check to see if you notice any improvements. Let us know more about this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Just to be clear - it's not "coming on" immediately so much as being there - and then you turned on the TV so you could see it.  I general* Rokus don't know whether the TV is on or off and the TV power button talks only to the TV. 

* well actually, it's more like this behavior is undefined or variable.  There have been reports of the Roku having no idea of the TV power state (seems most common), and reports of the Roku reacting to the TV power state and/or TV input setting.  (And some people have not liked whichever situation they had.)  I've seen no report of any specific setting in Roku to make it aware or unaware, but you might trying switching HDMI-CEC settings on the TV or Roku to see if that changes anything.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Vgatkinson1
Binge Watcher

How do I switch HDMI-CEC settings on Roku to see if that changes it? 
odd how it didn’t do this until about a few weeks ago. 
thank you for your reply

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vgatkinson1 :

home/settings/control other devices/one-touch play

select to turn on, deselect to turn off

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Also on the TV side, you can figure out what your brand of TV calls HDMI-CEC (For example, Samsung calls it Anynet+) and see what settings you have.  Something like “refresh the list” or “refresh the network” may have an effect.

In my case, I have Roku’s save power option enabled, so in recent years, whenever I turn my TV on, my Roku has gone into low power/sleep state so I wake it up with the Home button. As such, I don’t know if it would have had the screen saver showing if it wasn’t asleep.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Vgatkinson1
Binge Watcher

What does this do? Just curious. Thank you for your reply 

0 Kudos
Vgatkinson1
Binge Watcher

I have done all the requested suggestions but when I hit power button on the roku remote the screensaver is what comes on the screen. It didn’t use to do this and all of a sudden started about few weeks ago. 

0 Kudos