Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pdxcurls
Channel Surfer

Prime Video Pixelated. Other Channels ok.

My Prime videos on roku tv are pixelated. They briefly come into focus and then blur again. 

There are no issues with other channels and my wifi connection when checked is “excellent.”  I also reset my router. 

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Prime Video Pixelated. Other Channels ok.

Hi @Pdxcurls,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We hear that you're having pixelated videos while streaming on Prime. No worries, let us help you with this. As a start, let's troubleshoot this issue by following the steps below.

1. Remove the affected channel by highlighting it from the channel tile and pressing the star (*) button. Then select the remove option.
  2. Do a system restart by navigating to Settings > System > System Restart.
  3. Add the channel back by searching for it from the "Streaming Store."

Once you've done all these steps, kindly try and check if you're still seeing the issue.

Let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Adamaron
Reel Rookie

I followed these directions and the problem is not resolved. It started when I replaced an older Roku device with a Roku Express 4K

@

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Adamaron,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

You appear to have performed excellent troubleshooting. No worries! We will continue to assist you further. Please try to update the channel by highlighting the channel tile, pressing the star button on your Roku remote, and selecting check for updates.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Adamaron
Reel Rookie

I checked for updates as suggested, and the app is up to date. However, the problem with pixellation is unresolved (Prime only).

0 Kudos
DaveBode
Reel Rookie

I too tried all the suggestions and Prime Video still looks like a potato. It is the only channel that has issues. Prime will oscillate between HD and 12 pixels of resolution. It’s infuriating. 

It is some problem with the app/stream because it happens on hard camera cuts. When the whole picture changes to a new shot. The bit rate drops ultra low. Sometimes it’s so low the picture are faces are unrecognizable. 

For context, I am a motion graphics post production video expert. I produce ads and videos for ad agencies and companies. 

The prime app keeps switching video streams and it makes watching content terrible. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome, and thank you for posting here at the Roku Community, @DaveBode.

We appreciate you for raising your concern with us and for performing all of the troubleshooting procedures provided to no avail. No worries. We'd be more than happy to forward this to the appropriate Roku team for further review and to fix this as soon as possible. For us to effectively do that, kindly provide us with the following details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • What version/build is the app/channel? (this can be found by highlighting the channel/app on the Home screen and pressing the Star* button)
  • Photo or video of the resolution, if possible. 

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and understanding. We'll be looking forward to your response!

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DaveBode
Reel Rookie

Model: 3820RW2 - Streaming Stick 4K
Serial: X025007T2P54
Software version: 12.5.0 build 4172-E6
Device ID: S0JC336T2P54

Prime Video version: 14.1 build 2023062023

TV is 1920x1080

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for providing us with the requested details, @DaveBode.

Just to clarify, does this happen to all contents inside the Prime video app? In addition, when does the pixelation happen? Is it when you are streaming a certain movie then suddenly the resolution drops? If so, kindly tell us which movie, TV show, or series it is. 

We'll be waiting for your response.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DaveBode
Reel Rookie

ID 54-410-240

The issue happens in most movies and shows. Last Sunday we watched The Champions and it was about 30% potato vision toward the end of the movie. Yesterday I tried to watch Transformers Age of Extinction and that was unwatchable. Over 50% of the time the picture was so low res, I couldn’t make out faces. Goliath season 2 episode 2 was also very low bit rate/res much of the time last night. Today, I tried to watch Clarkson’s Farm Season 2 and it was super low res much of the time making it unwatchable. 

For seemingly no reason at all an hour later when trying to trigger a report tracker, all of those shows and movies were crystal clear. But just now I tested again and Chuck season 2 episode 19 was going in and out of potato vision.

Disney Plus, YouTube, AppleTV, and other channels have been fine. No issues. We have a very good connection via Wi-Fi with a new router and 200Mb/s service. When we are watching nothing else is using heavy bandwidth on other devices. 

Prime Video is the problem app. I think the performance with Prime Video is also poor on the Fire Stick as well. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.