Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nathant
Channel Surfer

TCL Model 43S435 screen black

Last night in the middle of streaming a show, the screen just went black. The sound was fine, just the screen died. I have been reading similar posts for other models. I have done all of the things -- the unplugging, the various remote button pushing, the full-on factor reset with the paper clip -- and nothing fixes it. This television is 16 months old. From what I can gather on these boards, there is no fix for this? Basically just go buy another television that is manufactured by some company other than TCL and doesn't have Roku pre-installed?

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: TCL Model 43S435 screen black

Hi @nathant,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about the black screen issue with your Roku TV and we apologized for any inconvenience this has caused.

Can you please provide us with the following information:

• When was the last time TV was used without issue
  • When was the issue first noticed
  • Is the issue popping up when you start the TV
  • Is the issue happening during a content playback
    • If so, what streaming channel?
  • brand and model TV (this can be seen on the back of the TV)
  • Press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times to obtain a tracker ID (we are aware that this tracker ID will be unseen due to the black screen)
    • date stamp when you triggered the tracker ID
  • can you see a picture on the screen with the use of a flashlight

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
nathant
Channel Surfer

As I mentioned in my original posit, this issue was first "noticed" last night (March 8). It literally happened while I was streaming a show. So, I guess the last time the TV was used without issue was March 8, just before the screen went black.

Is the issue popping up when I start the TV? Is the issue happening during a content playback? -- These questions make no sense, because the screen is just black, it doesn't work.

The brand and model is TCL model 43S435.

I did that thing with the pressing the Home button 5 times and then the Back button 5 times. I did that today, March 9.

And no, I cannot see a picture on the screen with the use of a flashlight. The screen is black, it doesn't work at all.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @nathant,

Thanks for providing the information needed!

We'll go ahead and send this over to the team for further investigation. We'll get back to you once we have an update.

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
ggarcia
Channel Surfer

My TCL Roku was also about 18 months old.   I ended up buying a new tv a few days ago.  An LG google smart tv.  After a lot of research my understanding is this is a TCL issue not Roku.  So TCL is out for any future tv purchases.  

Clouds
Channel Surfer

Mines still like that but I do the 5 home 1 up 2 rr 2ff I do that about 5-10 times then I get the picture back but your guna have to that almost every time you wanna watch tv hope this work for you @nathant 

tseurer19
Channel Surfer

@Clouds @nathant 

what was this trick that gets your screen back?

what buttons do I have to hit?

0 Kudos
nathant
Channel Surfer

As far as I can tell, there is no way to get the screen back. I have read various things from "unplug the tv and plug it back in" to "press this series of buttons in this super secret manner then repeat this incantation six times while you dance around your remote control." I have tried all of them. None of them actually work. It's all just a bunch of stuff so that customer support organizations can show that they are trying their best. But really they just make terrible products. Probably this isn't a Roku issue, but more likely a TCL issue, that their televisions are built to last just as long as the warranty period. But I think I will never actually know, and so I think I will go buy another tv, which will be ABTCL ("anything but TCL").

0 Kudos
Jenny2000smith
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku TV TCL Black Screen on display

My Roku tv is on a black screen and I can’t get the recovery screen to show up. I need help 

0 Kudos
Kassybri95

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku TV TCL Black Screen on display

My TCL Roku TV screen went black last night but I can still hear sound. I did the reset method and tried unplugging it and waiting 30 secs before plugging it back in. I can see that the screen is trying to turn on because there are extremely faint words on the screen but I can’t get into settings to try and increase the brightness. How do I fix this?

0 Kudos