Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John-Luke
Reel Rookie

Unable to remove Philo channel

Jump to solution

As the title states, I can't delete Philo. I'm having issues with the app and my attempted fixes are listed below. I found the correct answer on a different post saying the channel needs to be unsubscribed before the channel can be deleted. Then I need to re-subscribe.

This seems absurd especially when prices for subscriptions are going up for new members. There needs to be a way to remove ANY premium channel without unsubscribing. 

Attempted fixes:

Update Roku

Update Philo app

Restart Roku

Shut off Roku and unplug it for 5 minutes.

Factory reset Roku.

Here's the link where the answer was given. Someone please tell me there's another way to remove the app.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Not-able-to-remove-channel-help/td-p/760684

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Unable to remove Philo channel

Jump to solution

Hi @John-Luke,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If the subscription is billed to your Roku account then, the subscription must first be canceled before the channel can be removed from your Roku device. But not to worry, if a subscription is canceled before the end of the billing cycle, you can continue to access the channel until the current billing cycle ends.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How to remove channels from your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

We appreciate your patience with this matter.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @John-Luke,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If the subscription is billed to your Roku account then, the subscription must first be canceled before the channel can be removed from your Roku device. But not to worry, if a subscription is canceled before the end of the billing cycle, you can continue to access the channel until the current billing cycle ends.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How to remove channels from your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

We appreciate your patience with this matter.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
John-Luke
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I'm aware of how to "fix" it. This is why I linked the answer from the community in my post.

The problem is that if I cancel my subscription, anyone with grandfathered lower pricing will be paying the new HIGHER PRICING. I've seen many people complain about this. We shouldn't have to cancel a subscription just to uninstall and reinstall a channel. No streaming service does this, no computer, TV or smart phone does this. It's well recognized that sometimes an app will glitch and the only solution is uninstall/reinstall.

Forcing customers to terminate a paid subscription and resubscribe at a higher rate sounds like a collusion to create higher profits.

Please escalate this issue to the proper channels to fix this poor design/programming that financially takes advantage of customers.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@John-Luke

Appreciate the reply.

There are instances when a user misunderstands that removing a channel means canceling the subscription. Therefore, Roku required all its users to unsubscribe from membership first before having the option to remove a channel. 

Regarding with Philo channel's higher pricing, we suggest contacting Philo Support directly. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach them here: Philo Help Center

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
John-Luke
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Clearly you didn't read the official answer. In order to REMOVE channel I must UNSUBSCRIBE  from the service first.

I'm already in contact with Philo, but rest assured. I'm going to be contacting government regulatory agencies over this since it forces customers to cancel their lower rates and resubscribe at higher rates. 

0 Kudos
Tmurphy5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Your experts are pretty much useless. Either they don't read the question, or don't know the answer and won't admit it.

0 Kudos