Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MsRubyTuesday
Binge Watcher

Captions not staying on English on Paramount+

So started watching another evening of SEAL Team on Paramount+ and noticed everytime an episode starts it automatically changes to Deutch. No other Paramount+ show does this nor any other app. All other settings are set to English. 

68 REPLIES 68

Closed caption shows up in German instead of English while watching Star Trek

I am having issues while watching Star Trek on Paramount Plus. My closed caption is set to English as default, but started showing up in German. When the episode begins I can go in settings and change it from German back to English, but I have to repeat this for each new episode and it is showing as set to English. Is this a Paramount Plus issue or a Roku issue? I have also reset my Roku. Still having the problem. I hope this issue has a resolution? 

ZenMasterChip
Streaming Star

ROKU Audio track for one show and some (CC) not respected Paramount Plus ONLY

THIS appears to be an attempted hack. I tried to send an email to support to report this issue; the short and sweet was that nothing short of factory reset would fix the issue

There were no power issues, the system is powered from an UPS. It appears to be a stream injection. Every Roku on the network was affected. No other apps on Roku except Paramount Plus on Roku was affected. Android TV was not affected, Paramount Plus on Android TV was not affected. Paramount Plus on the computer was not affected.  None of my other computers, systems, or networks were affected. 

Hello, I have solved a problem that I had on Paramount Plus only by doing a factory reset. Not ideal, but I expect it could occur again.. According to Paramount Plus this issue has happened with other customers, as well as myself.  Of course, it took a while to recognize that this was a Roku issue and a Paramount App in Roku issue. 
Just before the error appeared, I noticed that the Brand and Ad section before a show starts streaming was severely affected.  Lately there have been 60%+ complete failure followed by Error during this stage of streaming.  On one occasion after the Error appeared, the Roku completely froze requiring a complete power off reset of the system.  After powering up, the error appeared.

Multiple shows were affected in Paramount Plus.  The first show I tried to watch was permanently affected until factory reset.  Star Trek - The Next Generation.  (STTNG) Both audio and (CC) closed captioning was affected.  Independent of the Roku setting, which was correct, STTNG was in German (audio and (CC)).  Other show's primary language was not affected in Paramount Plus.  Many other shows had (CC) affected, and the language that appeared seemed to be related to what other languages were available other than the language chosen.  Shows in the primary language only may have not been affected at all, because of how Paramount lets Roku handle these choices, it was not possible to determin which if any languages were available in most of the shows.   No other app in Roku appeared to be infected.

I wrote this because I needed a way to contact Roku and inform them of the issue.  It was impossible for me to determine the exact source of the exploit, and my home system and network did not appear to be affected.  I suspect the start up stream in Paramount Plus or the Ad start stream service to be the part of the program affected. 

Simply, for myself, this is a one off at this time; I would like to report it as such.  Only Paramount was affected, none other... they are obviously not going to do anything about it, since they are acting like it is a Roku problem.  And, it is, but it only affected Paramount on Roku. This is a critical point.  However, it is my personal opinion that it appears that the issue is with Paramount Plus' interface with Roku that has been affected, and therefore both Roku and Paramount Plus will need to fix it.

I have recommended to Paramount Plus that they do what most other apps do which is to create separate primary audio language and (CC) language options within the app itself.  I do not use every app or ROKU and do not know if other apps that rely on ROKU for this choice have been affected.  Paramount Plus is the only app I use that relies on Roku for this interface, and it was the only app I use that was affected. 

Since it is one time, I am simply reporting the issue to ROKE... however, I would like a response from ROKU as the fastest and easiest way to report issues like this. I am a retired scientist, tech, troubleshooter, computer analyst and troubleshooter, and spent much of my life troubleshooting many systems and situations..  IOW I am a Metrologist with an extensive computer background.

The issue interfered specifically with one program "Star Trek - The next generation"  (STTNG) other programs I checked were unaffected with primary language (audio).

STTNG (CC) closed captioning was affected, it was always in German
Many other shows in Paramount were unaffected in Primary (audio) nor (CC). I suspect because they were only available in English, and only provided English closed captioning (CC).  

Although primary audio did not appear affected for various other shows in Paramount, all my shows were in English and I do not know what other languages were available for primary language support.  I only observed that (CC) was affected in other shows.  I think this depended upon which languages were available in CC.  Also, I suspect if other languages were available, one of those languages were  substituted for English or anything other than the (CC) language chosen. 

IOW, the language chosen for (CC) was affected, the choice affected may have been chosen based on location in individual show being viewed language availability list, however, whatever was displayed it was never the language chosen, but some other, which varied depending upon a factor unknown by me.

Removing and Restoring Paramount Plus did not work.  Only Paramount Plus on Roku was affected.  Paramount Plus on Android was not affected.  Paramount Plus on Browser was unaffected.  All Roku devices in my home *were* affected similarly.

Factory reset fixed the issue, whether temporary or permanently is yet to be determined.

I suspect a security problem; however, the type of Roku devices was not a factor, both of mine are different Roku devices. 

I have confirmed this issue on the 2nd Roku device in our household; however, it has not been yet factory reset.  If I hear back, I will let you know whether I had to force factory reset to resolve the issue, and whether that resolved the issue.  I see not reason it won't work at this time.
mrsphalanx
Reel Rookie

Odd problem with subtitles

I have the Roku Ultra LT device, and have recently discovered a very odd problem with my captions and the Paramount+ app.

Regardless of the movie, tv show, season, episode, previously watched, never watched, or resume watching choice that I make, the captions default to whatever "Captions Track" is first in the list for that particular show.  Irrespective of my Roku's default settings. (English preferred)

Example: Any episode of Blue Bloods, begins with the caption track defaulting to deutch.  Frasier defaults to dansk. Even if I correct the settings from within the app, during the show (Using my voice remotes asterisk button, and manually changing the track to English) if I stop the episode and immediately resume, the track changes back to the default first on the track list.  The transition from episode to episode also resets the captions back to the initial track.

If I run the Paramount+ app from any other device, including directly through the smart TV itself, I cannot replicate the problem.  The caption settings behave as expected.

There are no direct Paramount+ caption controls from inside the app, through the Roku so it seems to be a conflict just in the compatibility of the two.

It has worked properly, even using the Paramount+ app, for many months. This is a relatively new problem.

Please advise.

Re: Closed caption shows up in German instead of English while watching Star Trek

I am having the same issue but it is my default language is set to Deutsch every time I start a new episode or resume the last one I was playing. I have the roku stick but that probably doesn’t matter. This is very annoying, none of my other TV apps are having this issue either. This started around 5-ish days ago as far as I can remember, sometime last week. This is on TNG also, if that matters or helps.

thanks,

J

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Captions not staying on English

@MsRubyTuesday @ZenMasterChip 

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Alley71
Channel Surfer

Dutch language auto changes

For the last few days every time I go to watch an episode of Star Trek on Paramount ,I have to keep changing it back to English otherwise I have to listen to it in Dutch. Is anyone else having this issue? And why do I have to keep re-adjusting my audio language, when I'm not making any changes and it's only on that one show?

Splash1701D
Reel Rookie

Re: Captions not staying on English

I am having the exact same issue. It only happens on Paramount+ on Roku and to my knowledge only on Star Trek: The Next Generation. 

MODEL: 3941X - Roku Express 4K+

SERIAL NUMBER: X01600F2EMFH

DEVICE ID: S07P21D2EMFH

SOFTWARE VERSION: 11.5.0 build 4235-CR

CHANNEL: PARAMOUNT + VERSION: 7.8 build 20221109

TRACKER ID: FH-468-010

Steps to reproduce: Play any episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation on Paramount+ using Roku 

Please stop passing the buck, accept responsibility for this issue and resolve it.

Tags (1)
ZenMasterChip
Streaming Star

Re: ROKU Audio track for one show and some (CC) not respected Paramount Plus ONLY

Unfortunately, the issue returned on one device after a Factory Reset.  I am going to monitor this, but was giving a few days before doing another Factory Reset on the errant machine.  When I do, at first I will only restore Paramount Plus, and save everything else until it behaves.

On my primary device in the main room, the Factory Reset seems to have, so far, worked, and is still working as of last night 11-21-2022 (9pm EST) (I checked for updates on both machines at the time I reset them and neither machine needed an update, nor was one available.) So, they should be identical. I will obtain the information you requested in the next day or so, no time right now, and I'm ready to wash my hands of it; but, will be checking the one that is working every day to see if it mucks up again.  

Keep in touch if you find the issue. (A possible culprit is the initial advertisement and Paramount Logo that appears before streaming starts... They have been glitching and failing miserably, meaning they are erroring a lot.  Once, the system locked up.  I suspect that may have been when the system was compromised. (just a theory).

Will add to this if I discover more.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Dutch language auto changes

Hi @Alley71,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator