Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoboRuko
Reel Rookie

Apple TV app glitches during playback

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Streambar. All apps seem to work fine with the exception of the Apple TV app. It continues to glitch after a few minutes of playback. This has happened with version 11 and now version 12 of the Roku O/S. When I play the same Apple TV shows on the Apple TV 4K all works well. I would rather use the Roku due to its available apps and interface. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RoboRuko
Reel Rookie

Re: Apple TV app glitches during playback

Jump to solution
 I’ve found a solution to the issue, not sure if it’s a convenient one but whenever you want to watch Apple TV shows on the Roku Streambar just change the display settings to 1080 and the glitches will go away. The resolution is still great. When you’re done you can always change the display setting back to 4K 60. I’ve done this multiple times and it works every time.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @RoboRuko,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that you've been having this trouble with playing content on the Apple TV channel. We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
THine

Jump to solution

Yes! We have the same issue with apple TV on the Roku wifi stream bar. Apple TV app works everywhere else in the house, including the smart TV the Roku streambar is connected to. We have to switch to Apple TV+ app directly on the TV to watch anything from Apple app. It's so annoying and there is no doubt the issue is the streambar because the app plays fine on the smart TV the streambar is connected to. We've tried everything, and nothing has fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi there @THine,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry you've been having this trouble with playing content on the app. 

We would be happy to look further into this issue but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• When did this issue first start occurring?
  • Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  • What specific troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RoboRuko
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
 I’ve found a solution to the issue, not sure if it’s a convenient one but whenever you want to watch Apple TV shows on the Roku Streambar just change the display settings to 1080 and the glitches will go away. The resolution is still great. When you’re done you can always change the display setting back to 4K 60. I’ve done this multiple times and it works every time.
AJer
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra model 4800X using Software 12.0.0 build 4184-C2

I have started having problems with Apple TV App yesterday (June 16, 2023) where during playback the picture suddenly freezes.   In order to get it to continue, I have to FF and then rewind.   I have excellent WiFi at over 100MBPS.   I tried rebooting.   Yesterday it just froze once during an hour long show.   Today it froze about 5 times during an hour long show.    I tried doing troubleshooting for the Video under Settings within Apple TV App and it said it was unable to complete it.   Exited App and tried again and then it said things were OK.

Is anybody else having problems now with Apple TV app during playback?

0 Kudos
AJer
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am still having the same problem as above with picture freezing up during playback. Tried using the Apple TV App on both my Roku and a Sony Smart TV app ... does the same thing on both, so guess that means its the App and not my Roku.  Should I be calling Apple about this then?    Would think other people would be having this same problem?

I did try using Apple TV on my iPad and streaming it to from iPad via Airplay to Roku and so far that seems to be working, but have not watched it very long this way.  Plus this is a royal pain.   I want to be able to watch Apple TV via my Roku.

I did hit home button 5 times and then the back button 5 times after it froze up once on my Roku and I got an Issue ID.   No "Tracker ID".  Not sure if they are the same?

Does anybody have suggestions on what I should do next?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @AJer,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!
We understand that you're having a problem with the Apple TV channel since the picture will freeze during playback. We're happy to help. Please follow the steps: 

• Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Press home on your Roku remote, select settings, select system, and system restart.
  • Re-install the channel: Scroll down to search, put the name of the channel or app, highlight the channel, and select add channel.

You can also check out this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AJer
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I deleted the Apple TV app (channel) on my Roku, rebooted the Roku, reinstalled the Apple TV App and signed back in with my same Apple TV ID.  I am still having this problem where it plays part of the show and then the picture freezes up and I have to FF and rewind or exit the App and get back in to continue the show for another 5 or 10 minutes before it freezes up again!   Not enjoyable way to watch TV!

I just spent about 50 minutes on the phone with Apple support.  I was having this problem on both my Roku Ultra and my Sony Smart TV App for Apple TV.   Apple support talked me thru looking at Settings for the App on my Sony TV and there was one for "Clear Cache"; this seems to have worked there (not positive).   BUT, I don't think there is anything equivalent to Clear Cache on the Roku; is there?  

The Roku I am having problems on is my main Living Roku that is about 2 years old.   I have a five year old Roku in my basement (hooked up to an old TV) that I do not use too often, but I tried the Apple TV App on that.  This Roku is so old, it has to reload Apps or go thru some procedure most times that you start an App/Channel; which it did for the Apple TV App.  BUT, the good news is that when I use this 5 year old Roku box, it works OK for the Apple TV App!   

Is there any other way to more completely delete a channel on my Roku other than just using the * button and saying Remove Channel?   Maybe that would work?

Otherwise I guess I will just have to give up watching Apple TV on my main living Rm Roku.

Appreciate any help that anybody can provide.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @AJer,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We also want to appreciate you for the actions taken to resolve the issue. It's best to contact the channel provider directly and let them know about the issue you are experiencing with their app on the Roku platform. Most channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel providers themselves.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos