Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pheasant16
Channel Surfer

Roku Channel- Coach poor quality

Greetings all.

The program Coach on the Roku channel has very poor quality for maybe a week or so.  All commercials, and every other program on this channel stream just fine.

Tried to chat with Roku support about this; tried making the rep understand this is Roku's installed app, not something user added.  They were intent on telling me they deal with hardware and software issues, not channels, I have to talk to the coach channel.  OK who is coach channel?

Well if Roku Channel isn't their responsibility does someone know whom I may visit with about this?  Don't think Tubi, Pluto, Freevee, Disney, or FoxNews would offer any ideas. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Channel- Coach poor quality

@pheasant16-

The lack of knowledge and understanding of their own products and systems by some of the Roku so-called "support" agents is appalling.

I concur with your findings re abysmal picture quality on most seasons of Coach when viewed via The Roku Channel.   In a spot check of the first episodes, season by season, I find only final Season 9 seems to view normally.  Everything else is extremely low resolution, with the blurry, interlaced sort of thing one sees when a server using adaptive bitrates starts at its extreme lowest bitrate before it ramps up to higher more watchable bitrates.

I get the same thing when using the Roku app on my android phone and trying to view Coach via The Roku Channel that way.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find that Coach is currently being carried for free on other streaming sources.

Paging Roku employee @RokuDanny-R to pass this issue on to proper people.

Salient points to be passed on to appropriate tech jocks:

• Channel: ONLY The Roku Channel
  • Program: ONLY Coach
  • Seasons: 1 through 8 (Season 9 seems to be okay)
  • Problem: abysmally low bitrate

There are several other more extensive threads on this issue in the Community.

Please contact whomever is the supplier of this content to get this straightened out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Cjdj1278
Streaming Star

Hi,

FYI not just coach.  Third watch and Strong medicine have issues this week.  Amazing that the commercials are fine.  😭

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cjdj1278,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Are you getting an error code or message? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Warm regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cjdj1278
Streaming Star

When I start to stream it is like the internet is buffering.  But, a commercial will come on and it is clear as a bell.  No error message.  Although it has kicked me out of the app a few times. No issues with any other app.  I was just commenting here to tell you it isn't isolated to Coach.  I tried to stream Coach.  Same issue. PS: I like the new set up showing available channels a show can be streamed on.  I enjoy the Roku channel a lot. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cjdj1278,

Thanks for the response!

We understand you are having a playback issue with a channel. In some cases, removing the channel and then reinstalling it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below, making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

• Remove the channel. Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button on your Roku remote to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Home > Settings > System > Power. "If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step." System restart.
  • Reinstall the channel. Visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Please keep us posted on how it goes!

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cjdj1278
Streaming Star

Well, that was fun.  Did all you suggested and then the remote was no longer paired.  Finally figured out how to pair it back up.  Stream is still the same.  I did try a newer show Panhandle from 2022 and that is clear.  So, maybe it is just the older shows.  Thanks for trying.  

0 Kudos
pheasant16
Channel Surfer

Apologies to you in advance.  Thought your email was from Roku support.  I've hit the end of the chain with them.  So please rest assured the irritation wasn't aimed at you.

But forget it anyway. Something internal with low bitrate and they won't address it as anything but a consumer problem.  Too nice outside to mess with this.

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cjdj1278,

Thanks for the update!

We're glad that your issue was resolved. We're glad that your issue was resolved. Feel free to contact us for further queries.

Thank you for allowing us to assist you and for choosing Roku.

Happy Streaming!

Warm regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cjdj1278
Streaming Star

Figured out the issue was older shows.  But, Roku needs to figure out why it is happening. Up till this week it was fine. Thanks. 

0 Kudos