Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alemaster2016
Channel Surfer

Outdoor Camera SE will not hold a charge

My outdoor camera SE will not hold a charge. I've had it for only a few months and now suddenly it will not hold a charge for more than week before it's completely dead. It doesn't give us any battery warning anymore. It use to hold a charge for a few weeks, but now it's completely dead in a week. We have only charged it when it got down to 5% or less so to prevent any issues. We've only had the camera for about 5 months.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Outdoor Camera SE will not hold a charge

Hi @alemaster2016,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We will be happy to look further into this issue that you're experiencing with the Roku Outdoor Camera SE since it is not holding a charge. Did you already update the firmware of your Roku outdoor camera SE and base station? How many hours did you charge the Roku outdoor camera SE? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
alemaster2016
Channel Surfer

Yes I update any and all firmware as soon as it's available. It usually takes about 3 hours to charge. Once it's full we take it off the charger. As for troubleshooting I've power cycled it once after it was fully charged the last time and within a few days it was completely dead. I've not been able to find anything else about them not holding a charge so I've not been sure what else to do.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @alemaster2016,

Thanks for updating us here in the Roku Community!

We're here to help with the issues with your Outdoor camera SE. Please try these steps:

1. Please make sure the battery is fully charged before testing. A full charge from 0 to 100% takes up to 4 hours.
  2. We suggest repositioning the camera or base station to ensure it’s at 3 bars for testing. Check the signal strength of the Roku Outdoor Camera (Battery). Please take note that several factors can negatively impact battery life:
    • Frequently watching the live stream or keeping the live stream open for long periods
    • Using Scheduled Recording for long periods
    • Running a Time Lapse
    • Having Motion Detection get triggered frequently.
  3. Please check the battery usage by going to the affected camera in the Roku Smart Home app and doing the following:
    1. Tap the gear icon in the upper-right corner.
    2. Tap Device Info
    3. Tap Battery Usage
    4. The page will show the battery breakdown from the last full charge. If the days and total usage are low, proceed further.
  4. Does the battery drain happen at the very beginning or after a while?
  5. Request an app log and take note of the app log ID:
    • Tap Account > Roku Support > Submit a Log in the Roku Smart Home app.
    • Choose the Outdoor Camera > Battery Performance.
    • Next, fill out the details and ensure Send log files are checked, then tap Submit.

If the issue persists, the MAC ID and app log will be used for information.

Warm regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
alemaster2016
Channel Surfer

I did all that and found that the camera held the charge for 11 days. After charging it for 7 hours it's only at 90%. The log ID is 56579.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @alemaster2016,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

We acknowledge that you're having battery and charging issues with your Roku Camera SE. Kindly be informed that we have passed along your information and concern to the Support team, who'll reach out and assist you further regarding this. We also want to thank you for giving us a chance to assist you, and we thank you for choosing Roku.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated in the meantime.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I've only had my outdoor wireless camera for 3 weeks and I've had to bring it in and charge it up three times, in order to keep a good charge I have to turn it off during daytime and leave it on and live at night time

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @sambarker6977,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand and appreciate you reaching out about this issue you're experiencing with your Outdoor Camera SE.

We'd like to take a closer look into this case. Could you share with us a screenshot of the battery usage screen? You can see it from Camera > Settings > Device Info > Battery usage.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
olderguy
Reel Rookie

Re: Outdoor Camera SE will not activate + record

I've tried everything on the ROKU website and all the tips + tricks, but our new (8 days old) ROKU outdoor camera SE will not record events, even if you stand in front of it and wave your arms. I give up and will take it back to Walmart for a refund. This is why I did not buy it directly from ROKU. I log on to my ROKU account and the device shows but when I try to click on "help" the little circle just goes around and around, once for over 20 minutes without connecting. I have 5G wireless internet with a new EERO wireless router. I should not have to spend this much time to get it to work. If the SE camera will not record automatically then it's useless to me. Tried to e-mail ROKU but my "message was rejected by the network." So much for good customer service.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Outdoor Camera SE will not activate + record

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community, @olderguy!

We sincerely regret to hear about all the trouble this may have caused you. No worries. We're here to find you the best resolution possible.

May we first know if you have a subscription? In this case, you must enable the detection settings for motion and sound under Settings to help you record live events. 

You can set your Smart Home camera to record an event when it detects motion and/or sound. If neither detection setting is enabled, the camera will not record events. Follow the steps provided below to help you change your detection settings for motion and sound in the app: 

1. Select your camera from the Home screen
  2. Tap Settings in the corner
  3. Tap Event Recording
  4. Toggle each detection setting on or off

For further details and instructions, visit our Support link How to set up and view recordings on your Roku Smart Home camera

Kindly keep us posted on how it goes, and we'd be more than happy to further assist you with this!

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos