Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marieleeann
Reel Rookie

Indoor Camera not recording longer then 12 seconds

I bought the 2 pack indoor cameras. The first 2 weeks they were perfect. Now they won't record anything longer than 12 seconds and they aren't even going off when there is motion going on in the room. And when it does record for 12 seconds it doesn't use the smart tagging at all anymore it doesn't say person or anything just motion, I bought the subscription for the camera app and have a sd card in the camera so it shouldn't be any storage space issue. I bought the cameras to monitor my space but feel like I cant rely on them at the moment... a 12 second clip doesn't help me much when there's still motion going on. The camera was recording up to 3-4 minutes of motion at a time in the first 2 weeks. That's a big difference then 12 seconds then no recording for minutes after.

26 REPLIES 26
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Indoor Camera not recording longer then 12 seconds

We appreciate you for joining us here at the Roku Community, @Marieleeann!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. No worries; we'd be more than willing to find you the best resolution possible. 

Have you tried to sign out of the app and then sign back in? If not, we highly suggest so. If there is no difference, try removing the app and then reinstalling it again. After doing so, try to restart your camera by navigating to your Home screen inside the app. Select your preferred camera > Tap more > Tap Turn off > Wait for about 30 seconds > Tap the Power icon. 

Let us know how it went. We'll be anticipating your response.

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Marieleeann
Reel Rookie

I did all you said, it still doesn't record longer than 12 seconds and still isn't recording all motion. How can I fix this?? I deleted the camera and reconnected it to my app I turned it off and back on I restarted it.... im not sure how to fix this problem but I will return the camera if it doesn't record as it's supposed to. I paid for a whole year of service to have this camera record for good reasons, if this camera can't record I'll have to unfortunately get a different brand.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Marieleeann,

Thanks for the update, and we really do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We have validated your account, and it seems like one of our experts from our Support team is already taking care of this and has escalated it to the appropriate Roku team. I'll communicate this, and we recommend keeping an eye on your email address for future updates or getting back here if you still need a hand.

Best regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Having the exact same issue, have my indoor camera viewing into my entry way/ and thru the window down my driveway. having a driveway of about 300yards, and a gravel road crossing about 500 yards away. I can easily hear and see every vehicle, drive by for 12 seconds.

Kind of scary that I can see vehicles I don't recognize turn into my driveway, and that's it.

I routinely come home and leave my car running door open and walk up to my camera waving and it's showing the recording light. The 12 seconds I get leaves me with about 25 seconds that I still need to be able to see me do this

Followed by hearing (but not seeing because of glare) them set a package by the front door or knock thru my other indoor camera.

As well, the audio static that can be heard by many, is not caused by quality microphones, it's codec processing feedback, caused by massive packet loss, and it's server side. 

Using a basic 20 band equalizer I was able to audibly hear conversations not locally occuring.

I'm paying for the service, and the cameras aren't bad.

What's beyond frustrating is that it would take me 30 min to decompile this app and import it into netbeans to figure out exactly how create a device handshake via web browser for direct "local" viewing. While simultaneously using built in Android repositorys to create a push notification for my local TV while watching a show.

But why should I have to work to get basic features that I pay for?

personal gain?

Maybe a participation trophy?

My grandparents had the feature in 2001 for all incoming landline their cell calls to appear on their tube TV as a notification while watching the news.

Why the doorbells don't come with solar panels.

Or the spotlight camera doesn't have certain motion features.

Beats me.

Good product.

Bad implementation.

Reading these forums makes it feel. Intentional.

-Mathias

0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem only 12 seconds of recording on my Roku cameras. I also bought the package. It all started with the software update on my cameras which Roku has sent out this week. Had no problems till then. I don't need a camera that will only record 12 seconds. Roku needs to address and escalate a solution this problem. r[personal information removed]

0 Kudos

Mine are only recording 12 seconds and then skip 5-7 minutes before recording another 12 seconds. Since the update too

iSlankzD

My indoor cameras, doing the exact same thing, I bought the cameras to monitor my pets, but it’s hard to keep an eye on them if the monitoring isn’t recording for more than 12 seconds at a time. Once the motion tagging starts, it’ll only record for up to 12 seconds.

When I first bought the camera, it worked just fine. Everything was perfect. Once the subscription was over with, and I had to start paying that’s when all the issues started. I’ll check and see that one of my dogs got in the trashcan and I don’t know which one did it because of the 12 seconds of recording. Once motion tracking starts it should record the WHOLE motion, does not matter if it’s 12 seconds, minutes, hours, or days.

I need this issue fixed asap or I need to be refunded on both my devices and subscription payments I’ll take my money to RING where these issues aren’t happening.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community regarding the issue you've encountered.

Let's attempt some Settings navigation with your Roku Smart Home devices. When an alarm sound is detected, a 12-second event video is generated, and a push notification is sent by the smart home app. This might be the reason why your videos do not record.

You can change smart sound recognition settings in the app. We recommend turning it off.

1. Select your camera from the Home screen
  2. Tap Settings in the corner
  3. Tap Alarm Settings
  4. Toggle the alarm settings on or off

After navigating this on Settings, please observe for a while if the issue persists. If it does, please let us know so we can assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Oceankissed
Reel Rookie

Having the exact same problem. One of my cameras will only record for 12 seconds and waits 5 minutes in between recording. My other three do not do that and they are the same kind of camera - although the three that work fine are in a different location. I did what was suggested here - didn’t fix it. All setting are the same on all the cameras

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.