Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nearbell
Channel Surfer

Re: Wifi works perfectly but Roku still won't connect

Hi, thanks for the suggestion re batteries, but I have tried 2 brand new ones and it made no difference. My modem / router is supposed to be dual channel. I don't understand all the instructions about how to check the router if it is operating in dual bands, BUT I have checked the site for my provider, Shaw in Canada, and it clearly is supposed to be "dual-band WiFi (2.4GHz and 5GHz)", from their site.

thanks again,

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@nearbell, one thing I don't believe you've mentioned or have been asked is how you're powering the device.  If you're using the TV's USB port to power it use the supplied power adapter.  If you didn't get one (it appears some devices sold in other countries don't come with one) try one from a phone or tablet.  Look at the fine print and use one that can supply at least 1 Amp (e.g., Output: 5V 1A).

You're not getting to the point where your Wi-Fi would make any difference, so there's no sense in going down that path until you can actually complete the Wi-Fi password entry.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
nearbell
Channel Surfer

Hi. Thanks for the help, renojim. Much appreciated. This may be a duplicate reply. I will see later. I have tried a 5 V 2 AMPower supply with the roku. It made no difference. You understood where my problem was occurring. I will wait and see if my previous attempt at a reply get's posted. If not I will try again. and say more. 

0 Kudos
kayak82

I installed a Roku Streaming Stick 4k today. It was replacing my much older roku stick. I disconnected the old stick, and installed the new one. Then turned Roku on in my smart TV and the Roku setup started right away. After selecting English language and Roku finding my personal network ,the screen popped up where you enter your router password.I tried to start selecting the letters of my password, but the Roku froze up and wont let me enter anything. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the stick..no help. I rebooted my router as well as my cable box...no Help. I rechecked that the batteries in the new stick are properly installed. Everything works fine until i need to enter my router password. I have been using an old Roku stick on this same TV for at least 5 years with no problem. 

Does anyone know how to solve this frozen password screen problem? If not i am out of options . I cant think of anything else to try to get the password screen to work. 

0 Kudos
renojim

@kayak82, it does sound like you and @nearbell have the same problem.  Depending on the model number of the old stick its remote may work with the new stick.  Can you give it a try or post the model number of the old stick?

0 Kudos
nearbell
Channel Surfer

Hi to renojim and kayak82. I think my longer reply didn't get posted so I will summarize my experience here. when I tried to get started with the Express, I would get to some point on the sign in screens, and then it froze, either at select language or I could choose my wifi name but then as I tried to enter the password for my wifi it would freeze, sometimes after 2 letters, sometimes a few more. Never completed the password. I tried new batteries in the remote. tried to power it from a phone recharging source, 5 V 2 A, as well as the power source on the TV. tried rebooting my modem etc. tried several times on 3 days. my modem-wifi is supposed to be dual band. but as renojim said, I never got that far.

all in all I spent at least 3 hours, or more, on above incl reading online.

So I took the roku express back to Best Buy; I bought it online for store pick up. the store staff did not offer any advice other than to return it and try a fire 4K stick. so I did. I have not tried it yet. other more pressing issues came up. I will try it today or tomorrow and let you know it if works. not that I am advocating a different brand.

my thanks to renojim for help. good luck to kayak82.

0 Kudos
padmakunal
Reel Rookie

My Roku was working fine just two weeks ago. Then suddenly I start getting the "Not connected" message. Since then I have restarted my router then restarted Roku device in order (twice), even tried other HDMI ports on TV in case it was a problem. All my other devices are working fine. I even re-entered the password to connect. I bought Roku in 2019 so it is not that old I hope. The remote works fine so that is not an issue. BTW I get the Error 014.30. It just won't connect. How do I fix it?

0 Kudos
nearbell
Channel Surfer

Hi padmakunal and renojim, I do not have any advice for Pad.... I did not succeed with my Roku express as noted above. I have now set up the alternate brand that Best Buy staff rec when I returned first unit and had no difficulty with set up; it connected to my WiFi, etc.

As you can probably guess I am a newbie to this; so, sorry but no advice for you Pad... good luck.

0 Kudos
renojim

@padmakunal, the 14.30 error code is known to occur when your ISP (Internet service provider) updates or changes settings in your router without your knowledge.  You need to ensure the wireless mode is set to b/g/n and not g/n.  You may be able to get them to do it or post your ISP and make and model number of your router and someone here may be able to help.

padmakunal
Reel Rookie

@renojim Thank you for your reply. I called Xfinity who is the ISP and the support guy said my router is older version so they need to replace it with newer version. I will update this reply once I test with the new router and see if it fixes the problem. Appreciate your help.

0 Kudos