Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WarmPoet
Reel Rookie

Wifi works perfectly but Roku still won't connect

Has anyone experienced this problem before? You're internet is working fine, every device connected to it is working fine, but Roku just won't connect? I have had this problem twice with an annoying solution to fix it. For some reason changing my wifi password and then connecting my Roku to it works and I'm just wondering if this problem/solution has happened to anyone else.

22 REPLIES 22
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Wifi works perfectly but Roku still won't connect

Hello @WarmPoet

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'd be delighted to take a closer look to see how we can assist. Do you receive an error code or message when connecting to the network? Did you try to connect the device to your home network or to the router?

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your hotspot is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.
If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet. 

Keep us posted with the details.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
WmTB

The device is plugged in but does not connect. The little light on the face of the device does not flash nor light steady . Is it not functioning or what?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@WmTB, if no light comes on when you connect the power either the device is dead or the power source is dead.  If it uses a USB power adapter try one from a phone or tablet.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
romanofish

everything was working fine and then just the express boxes would not connect back to my wifi network. the sticks and roku tv still will connect

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Non-4K Express models can only see and connect to the 2.4 KHz wifi band.  Your Streaming Sticks and Roku TVs can see and connect to both the 2.4 and 5 KHz bands.  So this may be a problem with reception of the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

There are several setting possibilities for your router's 2.4 KHz settings that may be the cause of your problem. And to make matters worse, some of them can be caused by recently-reported router updates. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/xfinity, Cox, and ATT so far), but it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK AND REPORTS NETWORK QUALITY BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings on the 2.4 GHz wifi band from b/g/n to just g/n, causing Rokus connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK AT ALL
    A) Some recent router updates have turned off the router's use of the 2.4 GHz band. Some Roku models, notably Roku Express/Express+ (not the relatively new Express 4K/4K+ models 3940/3941) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers above 4620), are lower end units with single band Wi-Fi radios that only support the 2.4 GHz band. They, and many other devices of all sorts that are 2.4 GHz only, can't even see the 5 GHz band, let alone connect to it. If you have 2.4 GHz only Roku model and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on.

B) In the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, all Rokus support channels 1-11, as are used in North America. If your router supports 2.4 GHz channels outside this range make sure your router is set to use a channel in this range and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside this range.

C) Rokus with dual-band wifi radios can connect to the 5 GHz wifi band in two ranges of channel numbers, 36-48, and 149-165. If your router supports 5 GHz channels outside these two ranges make sure your router is set to use a channel with these ranges and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside these ranges.

Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar for providing the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

If your problem was not caused by any of the above, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the "System restart" option under either "Settings > System > Power" or "Settings > System", or if more convenient you can just remove the Roku's power for a few seconds and let it restart.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
nearbell
Channel Surfer

Hi, I just bought a Roku Express. I cannot connect to wifi, which is forking fine. The set u for the express freezes at either the select langauge screen or the next one where I start to enter the password and screen freezes after 2 or 8 letters. at that point, or at language screen, roku does not respond to any command from remote. all I have been able to do is unlug power to express, wait, plug in and try again. I get stuck at the same point. 6 or more times now, on 2 different days and wifi works well with other devices.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @nearbell

Welcome to the Roku Community!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet 

Furthermore, please be advised that Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
nearbell
Channel Surfer

Hi, thanks but I have already looked at a number of Roku and other help postings, etc. I do not find my situation. I am not getting an error code; I tried to convey that before. The Roku freezes either at the screen of choosing the language or as I try to enter the password for my WiFi. It stays frozen until I unplug power; then I do not get any further on the next try. I have tried pushing the resent opening 2 x. it reset after only a few seconds the first time; I held it for 30 seconds the 2nd time as per recs.  it did not fx any differently after I did that. My WiFi modem is dual channel. the Roku starts but gets stuck. So please tell me, what is the issue? I am about ready to return it and try some other streaming device. I have already spent 2 to 3 hours reading online incl Roku info and have gotten nowhere.

0 Kudos
renojim

Have you tried new batteries in the remote?  Don't assume the ones that came with it are any good.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos