Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MamaRockit

Wifi Connections constantly disconnecting

It’s been years of this a no real solutions. I’m tired of it! We are switching to fire stick. Roku is the only device in my home that constantly disconnects, having me jump through hoops, waste my time over and over again to only have the same results.. disconnecting on the regular. 
if it was at least acknowledged by roku that they have an issue and are working on it, that would be different. They clearly are not! Sick and tired of wasting time just to get my connection back. See ya roku!

10 REPLIES 10
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Wifi Connections constantly disconnecting

Hi @MamaRockit,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Could you elaborate on the steps you have taken so far in an attempt to fix the issue, just so we could see if there's more to take? Most importantly, would using a mobile hotspot fix the issue?

Please keep us updated.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Same issue. Internet went out now I can only see the home screen. Apps won't loud. Tried factory reset and get stuck on error 003. No issues with the equipment until tonight. All 3 devices have been unplugged, says I'm connected, etc. All other devices in house work fine.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Alittlebite

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We're sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced with your Roku devices that are having issues with constantly disconnecting from your network. We'd like to gather further information regarding this for us to better assist. May we know what are the Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (These can all be found in Settings > System > About) that is having the issue? Also, have you tried restarting your modem/router? Further, have you tried connecting your Roku devices to a mobile hotspot to see if it's able to maintain a connection?

With more details, we can assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
FredSanford
Reel Rookie

I feel the same way.  Tired of it disconnecting from wi-fi randomly, but fairly often.  Will switch to another streaming solution after loving Roku for years.  

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @FredSanford!

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for letting us know!

We understand you're having a problem with your Roku device since it keeps disconnecting through your Wi-Fi. We're happy to help. Can you please provide the following information below?

• What Roku device are you using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify)
  • What error message or code are you getting after trying to connect to your network? (after entering the network credentials)
  • When did the issue start?
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

In the meantime, you may check out this support article here.

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

I solved this issue a long time ago by simply not using wifi. Buy some Ethernet cables. They're not that expensive and will eliminate this issue forever. Yes, it takes some time to set them up and get them tucked away so you're not tripping over them, but you only have to do that once and the issues are gone permanently. 

There is a reason every device has the port.

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
FredSanford
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the tips!  I am using the streaming stick in 3 of our bedrooms and the Ultra in our living room.  My last response was only regarding one of the streaming sticks in one of my bedrooms that is the only device with this problem.  Truly seems like I got a lemon piece of hardware that is not working right from Roku.  Versus wasting a bunch of time troubleshooting when I have so many other Roku’s running on our Fiber strength internet wi-fi and I’ve reset the router multiple times with the same one of them dropping WiFi constantly.  

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @FredSanford,

We appreciate the response!

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Also, thanks for the troubleshooting steps you have taken to resolve the issue. We'd like to know more about how we can help. Are you encountering error codes or messages? Also, when you reset your router, have you tried to restart your Roku device? To restart your Roku device, please navigate to Settings > System > Power > System restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step). In addition, we recommend connecting your Roku device to an alternative wireless connection, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue. If you see something different, please let us know what you see.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@MamaRockitIts quite possible the problem is channel congestion. I'd recommend installing WiFi Analyzer for Android or if you own an iPhone, something similar in the app store. Once installed, look to see how many others are on the same channel, log into the router and switch to one that's less congested. If using the 5 gHz band, setting bandwidth to 40 rather than 80 might help as well

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos