Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Update error 004 over and over

Jump to solution

Hi @RedBaron1,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the 004 error code on your Roku device when trying to update the software.

Would you mind sharing which specific Roku streaming player/TV has an issue with this? In addition, what is the current OS version of it? (Settings > System > About > press the right button to show the full details).

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried to connect your Roku device to an alternative wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue?

Moreover, check our Support page for more information about the steps for fixing error codes. Here, you will find how to fix Roku streaming device software update issues.

Please keep us posted regarding the behavior you are experiencing, and we'll be more than happy to continue assisting you further.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sinkless

Jump to solution

I have met the same issue on my TCL roku 65R625.I have tried all the methods mentioned above.Factoryreset,Press reset bottom for 20 seconds,use different AP,use mobile hotspot…but didn't works.The tv still runs update at 1% and the error code 004 appers as often.So does anything else I can do to fix the issue?

IMG_2113.jpeg

0 Kudos
Fun2BFree
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Looks like this is a common problem. I'm having it too. The connection is fine - tried on 2 different wifi connections & a Hotspot with no luck. Bandwidth saver being turned off didn't help.

What's the next step? Is this a bug on Roku's end?

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Fun2BFree,

Thanks for the first post to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are also having trouble updating your Roku device, and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you took to resolve the issue.

We'd be more than happy to look into this further. For us to help you better, could you please provide the following information below:

• What Roku device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV)
  • What is your device's current OS version? (Settings System About > press the right button to show the full details)
  • Did we recently make any changes to your network or network provider?

We'll be eager to wait for your update.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Fun2BFree
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku Express - 3930X

12.5.5  - build 4174-AE

No recent changes to network.

Tried update on 2 networks & one hotspot. No dice.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem as fun2bfree. Same model number and same software version… I’ve tried checking Internet connection, mobile hotspot, rebooting everything, Hard factory reset… Nothing is solving the problem

0 Kudos
Dohnut
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

After having the same problems as those listed this finally worked for me. Step one start up the Roku, get the screen asking if you want to update and select maybe later. Step two go to settings, software update, check now, and attempt to update (for me it failed).  Step three do it again and my Roku finally updated. 

Other option is to go into the Secret Reset and Update menu; To get there Press the Home button on your remote 5 times, then press Fast Forward > Fast Forward > Fast Forward > Rewind > Rewind

Once in there look at the left side and find what it says for “software update server” and it most likely is set as Beta. To change you will go down to the Cycle software update server option and hit select to cycle it. This will change from the beta server to standard release server and for there you can exit and your update should work.

https://www.wikihow.com/Roku-Secret-Menu

RAS3
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Dohnut, Thanks I've been frustrated by this error for over a week, your 2nd manual update advice worked for me!  I don't understand it, but I guess that doesn't really matter.

Roy661

Jump to solution

Dohnut's advice finally worked for me!!  Roku's customer service advice was useless in too many ways.

Dohnut
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Glad it worked and yes I agree that is a weird fix. I hope that will allow Roku support to replicate and see how their code is working and hopefully resolve the issue as it definitely is not a network issue. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.