Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmsq
Channel Surfer

TCL Roku TV - Not updating software with xfinity wired/wireless

Hi everyone,

I have a TCL Roku TV with software version 11.0.0 buid4193-30.  It is wired connected to the home Xfinity internet. Some apps work fine but some apps like Amazon prime, Live TV etc do not work. This is the same with connecting wirelessly to the home internet. I am also unable to update Roku software with this connection. The only way the apps and updates work is if I connect the Roku to a Iphone hotpost. Everything works fine then. Does not work when connected through an Android hotspot too. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve ? I have tried all the usual shutdown, reset, etc, etc. Thanks all.

14 REPLIES 14
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: TCL Roku TV - Not updating software with xfinity wired/wireless

Hi @mmsq

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Let's try connecting your Roku TV to the internet wirelessly. But before doing so, since your internet service provider is Xfinity, we suggest changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
mmsq
Channel Surfer

Wireless router is already b/g/n

0 Kudos
shill88
Reel Rookie

I was able to resolve by resetting my router. I think it was set to go through a vpn.

0 Kudos
mmsq
Channel Surfer

Reset many times, still does not work. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

@mmsq

Thanks for the update.

Have you tried configuring your router and using wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America? Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you've still got any questions.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
mmsq
Channel Surfer

I am using wired connection. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @mmsq

Thanks for letting us know what you are seeing.

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device. It can be found in  Settings > System > About. It is also located at the back or underneath the Roku player itself.

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna 

0 Kudos
Seashelli
Binge Watcher

I'm having a similar issue, my wifi is connected and my signal is excellent however Roku says it can't update because my connection has an issue, I have spectrum cable and it seems like no matter which cable company we have everyone is suddenly having issues with Roku, these last few updates have been abysmal failures, Roku just keeps getting worse and worse and the only solution they ever offer is to reset and reboot ( we done all that repeatedly) I'm in the same corner with you having problems with the updates. I hope we can find a solution soon. Thanks for posting this your definitely not alone 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @mmsq,

Thanks for joining us here in the Roku Community!

When you say you're able to update and access the app by using an iPhone hotspot. Could you tell us how far this device is from the router? How long have you been using this and experiencing this issue? 

Let us know more about this so that we can further look into it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos