Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LizzieLav

Roku won't update not showing home screen

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Express and I've seen that they had trouble with the most recent update (January 2024). It won't perform the update, gives me the Error 004, and then mine won't even show the menu. Besides the "Roku" in the top left corner and the time in the top right, there is nothing on the screen. It's just my wallpaper theme. I have tried unplugging it and resetting it. However, I can't connect it to a different wifi network because I cannot see the menus. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GothamCityMini
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku won't update not showing home screen

Jump to solution

Try factory resetting your device.

If it is one of the little streaming boxes, there should be a pin hole reset into which you can push a paperclip for a 10 second count while the device is powered on.

If it's something else, check your user's guide or Google your device and factory reset to find instructions.

I factory reset my Roku, ran through one update sequence and it's now working fine again.

Note that I did have to reconnect to my wireless network and I had to re-login to all my services, but it's been working great for several days now since the factory reset.

I think it cleared out the problematic update and then went straight from factory to latest version.

Fingers crossed!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @LizzieLav,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

In addition, we'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update your device. Then once your device has been updated, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Keep us posted with what you find out.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GothamCityMini
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Express+ HD with Composite (https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express-plus-2018 Model 3910RW) started behaving in exactly the same way about a week ago - same behaviours:

• the Logo/clock only screen
  • multiple calls to update, some actually presenting the error/try again screen, some seeming to succeed
  • Sometimes it would finally make it to the menu screen, but every channel we tried to launch from our favorites would say it couldn't download and run
  • Sometimes it would finally make it to the menu screen, we'd start watching something only to have the system auto-self-reboot 15 minutes into the show.

Eventually, we found that either exercising great patience would allow the system to get to a menu screen (it would auto-reboot) and allow us to watch entire shows without incident, OR when it either at least made it to, but then hung on the logo/clock only screen, pulling the plug and re-booting it would eventually get it working again.

So every night we've been powering the Roku up earlier and earlier just to cycle through the repeated updates and reboots.

And I've tested my network connectivity when my Roku finally "gets its brain back" and it's good - so that's not the culprit.

I found this other thread (https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/Roku-express-cannot-update-3930x-no-matter-w...) where someone advised that there was a problem with the recent update, saying:

"The latest update - 12.5.5.4174 - is broken - once installed the 3930x does not work.  Thus it is probably good that you cannot upgrade. Perhaps Roku have withdrawn the broken update until they can produce one that works?"

And frankly I was beginning to get the impression that this might be exactly what was happening to your and my device: they are stuck trying to apply an update they have downloaded that just isn't going to work -  and they have a built-in safeguard to eventually revert to the older version if they can't, but you are forced to cycle through trying the update and multiple reboots before the software reverts to a "last well known good" version.

That said, I found this other thread (https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/Roku-3930X-is-stuck-on-bouncing-logo-screen/...) where Roku "recommend proceeding to factory resetting your Roku device" and the user reported that having solved the issue. 

I can't say I recommend it, but maybe it "clears the device down" to a point where the update can "finally take".

I'm too chicken to try a factory reset because I don't want to entirely "brick" my device because they don't make the 3910RW anymore and I absolutely need the composite out for my audio soundbar. I wirelessly send the HDMI video to a speakerless ceiling mounted projector via a DVDO Air3c setup behind us, but have the wall that gets projected onto, soundbar and the Roku in front of us.

I hope they sort this out soon - it's REALLY annoying!

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @GothamCityMini,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. We understand that you're having issues with your device, and we appreciate the steps you have taken in an attempt to fix the issue.

Rest assured, we are aware of the problem and are doing a thorough investigation into it as a team. Having said that, would you kindly supply us with further data?

• Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).

We will be able to forward them to the relevant support team so they can look into them further after a few additional details have been collected. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
aly_song
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having this exact problem too. I kept putting off the updates until I was forced to update, then got the error 004 message and now - nothing. I see the same thing on the screen that you described. I hope someone at Roku responds to this thread soon, as I’d really like to be able to use it again soon. 

0 Kudos
GothamCityMini
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I factory reset my Roku, ran through one update sequence and it's now working fine again.

But thank you for reaching out to me Janadee!

Much appreciated.

Jim

0 Kudos
GothamCityMini
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Try factory resetting your device.

If it is one of the little streaming boxes, there should be a pin hole reset into which you can push a paperclip for a 10 second count while the device is powered on.

If it's something else, check your user's guide or Google your device and factory reset to find instructions.

Note that I did have to reconnect to my wireless network and I had to re-login to all my services, but it's been working great for several days now since the factory reset.

I think it cleared out the problematic update and then went straight from factory to latest version.

Fingers crossed!

aly_song
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

that did the trick, thank you GothamCityMini!

0 Kudos
GothamCityMini
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Great to hear Aly!

0 Kudos
kla9107

Jump to solution

I had the same problem, no choice to update, wait for download (>30 sec), then error 004 try back later.  This was followed by no menu or channels - just wallpaper.  Turned it off/on would either still show blank or go to the regular menu.  Leave it off for a long time and it would again try to update.  Model 3910rw - roku express+; software 12.5.0 build 4178-51.  

Once I got the menu (several update tries and on/offs), I had it factory reset.  Then it updated the software ending with build 4174-51 and is now working.

I had jotted down several settings I wanted to keep such as channel icon positions before the reset.  I had to reapply settings such as wallpaper and turning off keyclick noise, but all channels were there.  I did have to re-authorize/sign-in to several, but, overall not much work.  

I wish I could have had the choice to skip the update once it was having trouble.  Please consider adding to future software.  Exiting to a blank screen should not be an acceptable roll out.

Thank you.

0 Kudos