Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UtahUser
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Does Not Stay Connected to WiFi

Jump to solution

I have the same frustation. My Onn Roku tv worked great until three weeks ago. If I power off the TV, it loses the connection. once I power it up I have to reset the connection and reenter my password. A real pain. No response from Roku. This is clearly a software issue. At this point I too cannot recommend a Onn Roku TV.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @UtahUser,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us about your Onn Roku TV not staying connected to your Wi-Fi. We're pleased to assist you.

• How many devices do you have connected to your network right now?
  • Can your other devices connect to the network without any issues or latency?
  • Did we recently make any changes to your network or network provider?
  • How far is your device from your network router?

Try the steps below to help resolve the problem.

1. Power cycle/ Unplug the Roku device for 30 seconds
  2. Restart the router
  3. Perform a Network Connection Reset on your Roku device by navigating to Settings > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset > Reset connection.
    • Note: Before doing make sure you know your Wi-Fi credentials. 
  4. After the network reset, your Roku device will restart, and you will need to return to the Settings menu to set up your wireless network again.

If the issue persists, you can connect your streaming device to a mobile hotspot as a temporary workaround to ensure the problem is not with your device. 

If the issue persists, we recommend performing a manual factory reset.

For additional troubleshooting steps, please see this article: How to fix internet errors and issues on your Roku streaming device.

To improve your Wi-Fi connection, check this out: How to improve your Roku streaming device's Wi-Fi or wireless internet connection.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
UtahUser
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response Arjiemar.

Yes, I have followed all of the suggested steps to resolve my Roku TV losing its connection. The problem persists every time I power off the TV. When I turn the TV on, Roku says "No Connection". My troubleshooting included:

1. Powered TV off and on. No fix, still No Connection.

2. The router itself is just 10' from the TV. This configuration is the same since I got the TV 18 months ago. Once I reset the network connection, Roku shows the  Connection.Signal strength as EXCELLENT in the System display once I reset the connection.  

3. I followed all of the other suggestions in the article NONE helped. The ONLY suggestion that kind of works is to the RESET. That is a huge hassle to do EVERY TIME when the TV is turned on.

4. The ONE possible "change" that may have (likely did) happened would be the August remote firmware update made by Roku to the TV.  Before that, everything worked fine.

I suspect that the there's a bug in the update that causes the firmware to "forget" the network configuration--either the name of wireless or the password or both--when the TV is shut off.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@UtahUser,

Thanks for the update,

We would be happy to investigate further, but we need further details. Can you please provide us with the following information:
  • Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue arise, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Wireless router make/model:
  • Who is your ISP (internet service provider)?

Once we have this information, we will pass it along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.
In the meantime, your patience and understanding is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos