Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AMG825
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku not connecting to internet

Jump to solution

I am experiencing this issue as well!  It happened Friday night and I did a factory reset and it fixed it.

Today I tried that again as my Roku Express won’t connect again and now, it can’t find my router and I can’t do anything else since I factory reset it.  This was working fine for three months until Friday night when I was watching tv and it just died….

Please help!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @AMG825

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, please be advised that Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
AMG825
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello @RokuKariza-D!

Thank you for your response.  I believe the router I have can broadcast both signals and as mentioned, it had been working just fine for three months.

I spoke to Verizon (my ISP) and they are going to send me a new router to see if that addresses the issue.  If it does not, I am not sure what my next steps are.

Regards.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@AMG825

Thanks for the response.

If the issue persists even after changing your router, please let us know and reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. This can be found in Settings > System > About. We'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
AMG825
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuKariza-D 

I received the new router however that has not rectified the issue.  The Roku device still cannot find my Wi-Fi network.

is there another way to retrieve the device serial number?  I cannot follow the steps you provided as the device was factory reset and I cannot connect to my network to go through the set up steps which would enable me to follow the steps you listed.

One other thing I want to mention, the specs for the Roku Express say for networking, it supports 802.11b/g/n dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) but you mentioned it’s only compatible with 2.4 GHz.  This was working fine up until Friday with the router I had.  The replacement router is the same model.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
huskym1025
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What did they have you do? I'm having the same problem.

0 Kudos
huskym1025
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What did they have you do? I'm having the same problem

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@AMG825, at this point there must be a dozen different "Express" models.  Most of them only support 2.4GHz.  It's the model number that matters.  It along with the serial number (or possibly the device ID) should be written on it somewhere.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AMG825
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@huskym1025 They haven’t had me do anything yet.  I will pass along the serial number and model number to them.

0 Kudos
AMG825
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@renojim Yes, I see your point.  You are correct, all I had to do was flip the device over and model and serial number where there.

0 Kudos