Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to reconnect to the internet every time the device powers on

Jump to solution

Model 3941X - Roku Express 4K+ connected wirelessly to the Internet. Powered by USB connection to TV (no spare wall jack nearby). Every time I power on the device and select a channel, I get the error, "Your device is not connected to the Internet." I go through the wireless setup, page through each screen (as my network info is saved from the last time I went through the setup process), select my network and password, the device connects with excellent signal strength, etc.  All is good and the device works normally. If I power off the TV (using the Roku remote), then power it on an hour or a day later, I once again get the "not connected" error, and go through the same step above. Rinse and repeat, same experience every time. The device hasn't forgotten the connection settings because they're there as prepopulated defaults in the network setup screens, it just makes me select them again each time. Any suggestions?

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Have to reconnect to the internet every time the device powers on

Jump to solution

Hi, @Petergklein

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We see that you're having an issue regarding the network on your Roku Express, and we'd be more than glad to assist. As a start, let's troubleshoot this issue. Kindly follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to Settings > System > Advance System Settings > Network Connection Reset > Reset Connection.
  2. Then restart your Roku device from Settings > System > Power (skip if no sub-menu) > System Restart. 
  3. Restart your modem/router and reconnect your Roku device to your network.

Please keep us posted on how this works, and we'll assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Have to reconnect to the internet every time the device powers on

Jump to solution

@Petergklein-

I suspect your problem is due to powering the Roku from a USB port on the TV that powers down when you turn off the TV, so the Roku shuts down and loses its net connection.  (I  would expect it to reconnect automatically when power is restored and it boots up, but it apparently is not doing that.)  See if the TV has a setting that will maintain power to the USB port all the time, or a second always-on USB port. 

If that isn't an option, try powering the Roku from an outlet to see if that changes things.  For testing purposes you could just run an extension cord.  If that works, if you prefer you could move the Roku nearer an outlet to eliminate the extension cord and use a longer HDMI cord to go to the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Mikekomm

Re: Roku keeps disconnecting from wifi

Jump to solution

I have one Roku plugged into the TV and it works perfectly. I have four other Roku sticks when plugged into the same TV always show not connected. Cannot figure out the problem

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mikekomm,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We want to investigate this issue further. Can you please provide the following information below?

• What error message or code are you getting after trying to connect to your network? (after entering the network credentials)
  • Did we recently make any changes to your network or network provider?
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Chasesmc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've tried all of the trouble shooting suggestions but my roku still disconnects regularly,  especially when I'm on certain streaming networks 

Sweedio
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have new router and high speed fiber internet service. Both my Roku devices (Express 4K+) randomly start buffering, freezes, blanks out picture or loses internet connectivity completely. When I perform the suggested connection test, it always passes with excellent or good connection and starts working again. I usually have any other devices active other than the Roku and maybe an iPad or iPhone at the same time. Ooops, the picture just went blank again as I’m writing this. Very difficult to clearly isolate the issue area given the reboot this or that suggestions. I suspect from everything I’m seeing on line looking for a solution that similar problems have continued to be experienced my many users of Roku products for quite a while. Picture just came back and blanked out again after a second or two. I will be looking for an alternative streaming device real soon I expect. Time to reboot stuff again…

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Sweedio, how are you powering them?  If you're using the TV's USB port, try using the supplied power adapter plugged into the wall.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Chasesmc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It seems to disconnect more often on different streaming sites.  I rarely disconnects on hulu but regularly on discovery+

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Chasesmc,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for sharing your concerns about your Roku device that keeps disconnecting from the WiFi. We also appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've taken to resolve the issue. We'd like to take action on this, but we need more details to see if there are any options that we can look further into.
Refer to these questions to better identify the issue you're experiencing.

• How many devices do you have connected to your network right now? (e.g., TV, mobile phone, laptops, computer)
  • Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel?
  • Have you tried removing the channel you observed this issue on from the Roku home screen? Then, restart your device. Once it loads up again, add the channel back once more and try playing content again.
  • Have you tried to connect the Roku device to an alternative wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.