Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dc8184

Roku is showing wifi/internet connection but is not connected to the internet

I have the same thing  all 3 of my ROKU not working but shows connected   what is going on with ROKU   are they having outages  are they going out of business???

19 REPLIES 19
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku is showing wifi/internet connection but is not connected to the internet

Hi @dc8184,

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community!

We'd be glad to further look into this and see how we can get you up and running.

Could you tell us when you started seeing the issue occur? Have you tried rebooting your router or connecting your device to an alternative network to see if you're still seeing this occur?

Let us know more about this so that we can further investigate it. Thanks!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku is showing wifi/internet connection but is not connected to the internet

@dc8184-

What results do you get when you check your internet connection via Roku menu path Settings > Network > Check connection?

And to help us help you, what Roku models and model numbers are involved.  You can find this via Settings > System > About on each Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
phoenix529
Channel Surfer

I am having the same issue.  LG Roku TV says it's connected and that signal strengh is 'excellent' yet is not connected.  All streaming apps on the tv will not play, producing 'no internet' errors.  Also, usually when the Roku TV is connected, the time will display in the upper right corner.  It is no longer displayed even though TV says it's connected.  

Other devices in the house are connected to wifi with no issues.  Modem/router have been rebooted several times (and power cycled).  Did a factory reset of the TV to see if that would help, but no luck.  Still fails to connect to internet despite saying it is connected (after setup process).  I've run out of ideas on what to do.  This started yesterday.

Any help would be appreciated.

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @phoenix529,

Thanks for the post,

We're sorry to hear about your Roku TV having an issue with Wi-Fi. We're happy to assist.

• Have you tried changing your wireless network channel?
  • How far is your Roku TV with your router?
  • Do you have cellular data so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

Please keep us posted on what you find out; we will happily continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.
Best regards,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
phoenix529
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply! 

The Roku TV is roughly 2 feet from a wifi extender, which it has been successfully connected to for the past 4 years.  Suddenly in the last few days it stopped connecting.

I've tried changing my network channel to no avail.  The TV continues to say it's connected, but then attempts to perform a Software Update and fails with Error 003 (this is after the factory reset).  Before, it was stating connection successful but none of the streaming channels would play content, stating 'no internet'.

As mentioned, I've connected both a Roku Streaming box and Roku Streaming stick to the same extender, and they connect/play content as expected (no issue). 

The Roku TV will not connect at all to my cellular hotspot.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@phoenix529 

If you go to Settings/Network/About on the RokuTV, are you seeing a MAC address and an IP address?

If you are seeing both, then can look into some settings to see if just blocked for some reason.  If you are seeing all zeros under the MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 then usually indicates the wifi module is either bad or poorly grounded.  All zeros under the IP address is either the wifi module or router DHCP server issue.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
phoenix529
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the reply.  Unfortunately I am not seeing this information.  System > Network > About displays a host of information, but does not contain an IP or MAC address.  The information displayed is as follows:

Heading:  Roku account (not connected)

LG model:
Hardware ID:
Serial number:
Software version: 
Uptime:
Roku TV support:
Device ID:

Nothing else is listed on this screen.  I'm gathering the 'not connected' message is why the IP/MAC may be missing?  I didn't find them on any other screen under System.

Under Network Connection, I have the option to connect.  The scan of networks provides an accurate listing which includes my network.  It appears to try to connect, but then immediately afterwards tries to search for a software update which fails with Error 003 daily.  Looking across the community site, I see others have experienced this as well.  I have already tried the suggested solutions for the Error 003 posts, to no avail.

The only solution I've found that I haven't tried yet is the Recovery Mode solution, which I will try today.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@phoenix529 

Try going to Settings/Network/Setup Connection and then select Private Network.  This is another place you can find the MAC address for the Roku wifi module.

If this Roku TV has an Ethernet port, you can try using either an Ethernet cable or an Ethernet adapter and see if you can get past the update screen.

With it failing to connect to a mobile hotspot, and the missing info in the info screen, suspecting a hardware issue.  Not all of these are fatal though.  Try the Ethernet if available and convenient.  Then try hotspot again and try to use the 2.4ghz band if the hotspot.  If neither work and the MAC is still not showing under the Private Network screen, then I would try the Factory Reset.

The Factory Reset is last resort and that is kind of what you are approaching.  If that does not work and the TV is out of warranty, I would purchase a wifi module for the TV.  (Held in with a couple of screws and small cable).  Easy fix once you take the back cover off the TV and usually under $50.  Most TV modules are about $25.

Edited to add... The IP address will only show after Network connection is made as this is performed by the DHCP server in your router.  The MAC address is flashed into the hardware an should show whether connected or not. (It is basically a serial number assigned to a manufacturer's network card/module/chip).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

phoenix529
Channel Surfer

Yep, I had ended up perform a factory reset (above) as nothing else I tried was working.  I choose the factory reset option through the menu.  Even after the reset, the TV still wouldn't connect. 

I've since tried the reset using the reset button on the TV located near the display ports.  This reset seems to have worked slightly differently, in that I now can connect to my cellular hotspot successfully (and update software), but still cannot connect to the home router. 

Now that a successful connection has been made with cellular, I can see the IP/MAC addresses. It was mentioned before about checking to see if it's being blocked. I've checked my router settings and it is not.

0 Kudos