Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express no longer finds or connects to wifi

@siggyiggy 

I really didn't think the b/g/n would be applicable to your issue since more of a fixed wireless broadband connection than a cable connection, but at least ruled it out.

Because you have two devices affected at the same time (and both using the 2.4ghz band), it really still does point to a network issue, rather than a device issue.  However, at times, some Roku devices have had issues with certain routers that could only be resolved with a firmware update from either Roku or the router manufacturer. (still don't know your router model).

Really, though, since both devices dropped connection with the 2.4 ghz band, and you are able to connect to hotspot with both Express 3930 devices, it points to a setting/configuration issue with the 2,4ghz band.

Can you clarify/verify a couple of things?

1.  Are you using a single SSID or seperate SSID for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.  If single SSID, how are you verifying that the 2.4ghz band is actually broadcasting and connecting.  If the 2.4ghz is actually connecting, what channel are your connected devices showing?

2. Have you verified through the Wisper app that you have no "blocked/paused" devices or settings enabled that would prevent connection.  In kind, usually check at the same time that no MAC filtering is enabled in either app or at router. (this setting either blacklists or whitelists depending on configuration).

3. In your initial posting, you mentioned that "they can't find the wifi".  Generally, this would indicate that the 2.4ghz radio is not broadcasting.  The 2.4ghz band can be configured correctly, but if not enabled (or SSID is set to "hidden", the Roku devices will not be able to locate the 2.4ghz band.

-----

If you can verify the above and add some missing details, may have some troubleshooting steps you can try.  Just too exhaustive to list every possible setting to check as there are different procedures when the Roku can see the network but can't connect vs. cannot see the network, vs. connects to network but not internet, etc.  Additionally, each router has their own settings and whether it is set in a mesh mode, using extenders and pods, etc.

You also mentioned you factory reset the Roku device.  If you only did this to one of the devices, try to go to Settings/Network/About and look at the IP address of the one not reset.  If you have an IP address showing, try to connect manually in the Network Connection Screen. (select Private Network and enter your SSID name and password).  If you can connect in this method, then making progress.  If not, there is likely something preventing connection in the setup).  **Note. The IP showing should look very similar to the Gateway IP address showing.  Only the last couple of numbers/octets should be different.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
tattdtorn
Reel Rookie

both of mine are also 3930x. after calling xfinity as suggested, it worked for about 20 minutes. now both are not connecting again. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@tattdtorn 

Go into your Xfi app and verify that the 2.4ghz band is configured to use b/g/n.  You need to check that Xfinity actually made the changes you requested.  If your Xfi is showing b/g/n, then try another wireless channel (1, 6. or 11 preferred).  Restart both the router and the Roku devices.

If you see that the 2.4ghz is still showing g/n under Wireless Mode, then Xfinity did not make the necessary changes but did a simple connection reset from their end.

The issue is that some 2.4ghz devices (including the older hardware of Roku Express) experience a "stubborn reconnection" condition and need the legacy b protocol enabled to compensate for the smart firmware being used in Xfinity provided routers/equipment. (also applies to other cable ISP like AT&T, Xfinity/Comcast, and Cox).

tattdtorn
Reel Rookie

would not even know how to change the wifi channels to 1, 6, or 11. xfinity would prefer i pay them for tv. so i will have to find another way to stream channels. i had to replace my previous units with these express units, because the software on the old ones no longer supported the channels i was streaming. i bought these units in 7/2022. guess that 6 months was what i get for the price of replacing the units. thanks anyway

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@tattdtorn 

Here are Xfinity's instructions for changing wireless channels of your router through the Xfi app and verifying your mode settings. (It is about a 5min procedure).

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-channel-xfinity-xfi

----

In order to avoid the Xfinity issue with the 2.4ghz band, you can just purchase either the new Roku Express 3960 (which is dual band and will use the 5ghz band of your network), or consider purchasing the better Roku Express 4k+. (Also dual band and comes equipped with better remote for TV controls).

By using a Roku device capable of using the 5ghz band, you won't need to deal with the 2.4ghz issue.  However, it is very easy to address the 2.4ghz issue by reading the link above and following the instructions which will teach you how to make the basic settings changes you need using the Xfi app.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Sunnystaci
Reel Rookie

Same issue here!! Suddenly 2/6/23 boom both Rokus AND our personal cameras kicked off! Won’t even show up when I scan! We have had them connected since September!

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Sunnystaci

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'd be delighted to look closely to see how we may assist you in getting started. Do you receive an error message when attempting to connect to your wireless network or when streaming a specific channel?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried re-connecting your Roku to a solid wireless network to see if that helps resolve the issue you are seeing? You may also try to connect to an alternate wireless network, such as another mobile phone signal typically provided and maintained by specific mobile phone (cellular) service providers, to see if you are experiencing the same issue.

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Sunnystaci
Reel Rookie

Something is wrong!! I am seeing so many people post this and Roku isn’t giving any real answers!! I didn’t do anything different. I have TRIED EVERYTHING yes everything!! So wtf?? If it’s to “out of date “ then say that Roku!!

0 Kudos
Sunnystaci
Reel Rookie

Why would it suddenly stop working if the Wi-Fi is not compatible? It was working when I went to bed, woke up and it disconnected and does not show my Wi-Fi when I scan for networks GET iT TOGETHER ROKU

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sunnystaci,

Thanks for the post.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused, I will do my best to assist you.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: How to connect your Roku® streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet | Official Roku ...

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing

• Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? As some Roku devices like Roku Premiere and Roku Express are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.
  • Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect?
  • Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected?
  • Can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?
  • who is your ISP (internet service provider)?

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos