Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdbull
Channel Surfer

New Roku TV will not stay connected to Spectrum community wifi

Trying to help my son at college. Brand new Roku TV with spectrum community Wi-Fi at his apartment. The TV will connect to the Wi-Fi for initial setup and update of software. However after the TV is setup, it will not stay connected to the Wi-Fi. I can even go through the network test, it says it's connected, then I go to status and it's not connected. Apps will not open bc it says it's not connected.

I'm fairly certain there's something going on with the Wi-Fi bc this is the fourth different TV that we've tried and they've all had this issue.  Speed tests from any other devices in the apartment are over 500Mbps. The connection is really fast.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the frequency or channel of the Wi-Fi, but I don't know if there are any advanced network settings on the TV to mess with.

Just looking for any further troubleshooting.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
48 REPLIES 48
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: New Roku TV will not stay connected to Spectrum community wifi

Hi @bdbull,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with the Roku TV. We will be more than happy to take a closer look into this issue that you're experiencing. Could you provide us with the following information below?

• Do you have cellular data so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bdbull
Channel Surfer

The tv seems to have no problem on another wifi network.  It's only the Spectrum apartment wifi that it has issues with.

I have network reset and factory reset the tv multiple times.  Not really sure what else I can do on the tv outside of that.

Just an FYI, I bought an Onn Android TV box and it has no problem staying on the apartment wifi.  So, there's some issue between the Roku TV and the wifi.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We appreciate you for keeping us updated, @bdbull!

Mentioning that this is the fourth TV you've tested and proven to be unable to stay connected to the Spectrum Community Wi-Fi says a lot about the network connection itself. Please be aware that it may not have any problems staying connected to other streaming devices/TVs, doesn't mean that it can't receive any problem with a different streaming device/TV model/brand. We should also consider the network signal's compatibility and strength. 

Furthermore, we completely understand your situation in trying to stay connected to the network for your son's TV in his college dorm. As a workaround, here's our Support article to help you Connect and Fully Authenticate to a community network. 

We'll be looking forward to your update on how it goes. Hope this helps! 

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bdbull
Channel Surfer

I don't doubt that it has something to do with the wifi, but it is also related to the Roku OS.  The four tv's I've tried have all been Roku's, and all of them exhibit the same behavior.  The Onn Android tv box does not show this behavior nor does his roommates Vizio tv or any other devices (laptops, phones, etc.) they have.

The signal strength is very good as there is actually an access point in their unit.  All speed tests on other devices show speeds over 500Mbps as well.

The wifi is not a dorm or hotel type wifi connection as he is not in a dorm, but an apartment.  It is what could be considered a normal, password protected wifi network.  It just happens to be provided by the apartment complex.  It's closer to a business type wifi than it is a hotel or dorm with an authentication page.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
happy_streamer
Binge Watcher

Looks like community wifi has some DNS filtering. A potential solution was shared here:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/Roku-Community-Spectrum-wi-fi-keeps-dropping/m-p/90...

0 Kudos
bdbull
Channel Surfer

I ran across that post as I was searching for a solution. Does the Roku TV OS allow changing any of the network settings?

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for raising your query here, @bdbull.

To answer your question, Yes. The Roku TV allows you to connect to any network. It also allows you to change your network settings to your preferred one. You may accomplish this by going to your Home screen. Scroll up or down to select Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset

Do not be reluctant to respond to this thread if you have further queries or need further assistance. We'd be glad to assist you with anything at any time in the best way possible.

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bdbull
Channel Surfer

Sorry I wasn't complete on my question. I meant to ask if Roku allows changing of the individual network settings such as ip address or dns server? Or does it only allow me to select a network to join? I know how to reset the network connection as I've done that numerous times, but that hasn't solved the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@bdbull,

We appreciate your response, 

Roku only allows you to select a network to connect with; individual network settings are not available.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos