Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillMlod55
Channel Surfer

Roku Community Spectrum wi-fi keeps dropping

Jump to solution

I have a TCL Roku TV and am in an apartment complex that uses Spectrum Community wi-fi. Everything worked fine until a couple of days ago. Now the TV will not stay connected to the wi-fi. Spectrum says it is a Roku problem and Roku says it is Spectrums. I do not get any error codes and my TV works fine with my phone hotspot. Spectrum tech says that a recent Roku update is causing the problem. My Roku is on OS version 12.0.0 Build 4190-CG

Is anyone else having the same issue?

If other info is needed please let me know.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CavalierX
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Community Spectrum wi-fi keeps dropping

Jump to solution

Thank you ROKU for FINALLY fixing this issue!  Jan 25 firmware update 12.5.5 Build 4174 has resolved this issue 👏🏼 please do NOT rollback any fixes like last August where this problem came back again.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Kgaun
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

image.jpg

0 Kudos
BillMlod55
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

20230820_172742.jpg

This is my network connection screen. When I connect is drops after about 15 seconds. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Kgaun, you have a different problem then the OP.  I can't tell if that's a Roku TV or a Roku device connected to a TV, but the MAC address should never be all zeros.  That indicates a hardware failure.  About all you can try is a factory reset, but if the MAC address remains all zeros there's not much you can do unless it's a TV and you want to take it apart.

@BillMlod55, I can't offer much advice, but you might want to try connecting to 2.4GHz access point if your that's available (channel 161 is a 5GHz channel).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BillMlod55
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion to connect to 2.5 but since I'm in community Spectrum controls everything. I don't have access to the routers. I just wish Spectrum would listen to me and verify the settings on the router. They just insist it's a Roku issue.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@BillMlod55-

You could try using a WiFi travel router.   As long as it can connect to the Spectrum signal as its source, it can give you your own private network to connect to, one that YOU control.

Here's an example:
https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-SFT1200-Secure-Travel-Router/dp/B09N72FMH5/ref=asc_df_B09N72FMH5/
I have no specific knowledge of this unit, but the ratings seem pretty good.  This is a lower end model but it should be able to support a couple of Rokus at least.  There are more expensive models if you need higher throughput to support more devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
BillMlod55
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice, I never thought of a travel router. I'll look into it.

0 Kudos
BillMlod55
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So I purchased a travel router, set it up & the same thing happens. It connects to Spectrum fine, then I connect my TV to the new router. Stays connected for about 15 seconds and then says not connected.

Any other ideas? 

0 Kudos
BillMlod55
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

OK, this is strange but I changed the DNS servers on the travel router to a known public server and now my TV and Roku box stay connected. Not sure why the DNS would have that effect but it seems to be working.

I'll post again tomorrow if the network connection is stable.

Thanks for the ideas.

0 Kudos
hgdky

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same issue. I have community wifi and they said it’s a Roku issue, with a recent software update. They whitelisted my MAC address in July the last time it happened. That worked for awhile. Our community recently had a power outage, so it caused and issue again.

0 Kudos