Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

@willhuneycutt 

Thanks for the update.

Since your ISP is AT&T, have you tried changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n? Customers have stated that this helped resolve their connection issues.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
luckygold1
Channel Surfer

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

I did reset my connection to my network. The roku says I have a excellent signal. But I still loose connection.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @luckygold1 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
willhuneycutt
Channel Surfer

It's been generally stable, but occasionally the connection drops, then after running the "check connection" feature - solid connection but only <1mbps. The AT&T router is running B/G/N by default. 9DCEB582-2034-4950-89E8-84D467BC26E4.jpeg

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@willhuneycutt, you might want to try taking the channel off of "Automatic".  Try channel 1, 6, or 11 and just leave it on a fixed channel.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
luckygold1
Channel Surfer

In my roku about I see only model number, serial number, software version, uptime, roku support, device id, network name, ip address, and wireless mac address. I did change the channel to 6 and reset my wireless connection. It haven't change. I upload a screen shot of my router settings. The channel been changed.

20230324_115303.jpg

0 Kudos
willhuneycutt
Channel Surfer

I had tried static channel 11 and still had the problem originally, but the last thing I did was I tried channel 1 and so far the problem hasn't reoccured. Not sure if it's due to structural interference with signal (there's only 10 feet of distance to the router and it's through 2 interior walls) or congested wifi in the area.

I regularly do live audio production, controlling PA and audio equipment with an ipad through a router and am very familiar with no problems connecting 100's of feet away, but once 100-1000 people show up with cell phones, having no connection more than a few feet from router. The only solution I've found for that is a high gain directional access point/router. I just try not to stand too close to it 😜

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@willhuneycutt 

I use an app on my phone that analyzes my available wifi connections and shows me which channels are the least crowded at any one time.  I check this periodically as neighbors can add new equipment or reconfigure their channel use and shift the crowding around.  You can also reduce interference from adjacent channels by setting the channel bandwidth to a lower value.

The Google Play store has a number of wifi analyzer apps.  I've been using the paid version of this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=abdelrahman.wifianalyzerpro&hl=en_US&gl=US.  Just found an interesting open source one I'm about to try out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer

Apple should have something similar, I'd think.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
AvsGunnar

@makaiguy 

The two I use include the one you linked to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer and also https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=abdelrahman.wifianalyzerpro. (free version is just fine).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

willhuneycutt
Channel Surfer

To be honest, we've just learned to live with it (dropping the high speed internet connection while maintaining, or loosing the wifi connection). The LED backlights died in the TCL Roku TV we were using (after 3 years) and I haven't had time to replace them, so we're just using our roku unit (we use for travel) plugged into a computer monitor. If the roku decides to stop streaming, then we don't watch TV and either switch to tablets or go to bed.

0 Kudos