Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThomD
Reel Rookie

Re: Cannot connect to Internet

I am having the same problem everyone else is. I can't help but wonder how many other's have the same issue but just don't post here. Had I'd known about the wireless connectivity problems I never would have bought it. Roku doesn't even take responsibility for their subpar product and it's always everyone else's fault but their own. Just the fact that there is no customer support for their product past the initial setup is all you need to know. I ended up throwing mine out and buying an Amazon Fire Stick. Problem solved and I've yet to have an issue with it connecting to my wifi. Roku needs to stop blaming everyone/everything else and start fixing their connectivity issues. It's not our wifi, it's your bad product. I I'm grateful I'm only out $40, I feel sorry for those that got suckeredi into buying the TV.

marshx
Channel Surfer

@ThomD I totally agree with your comment.  Just sucks that I never had an issue until now.  Not have customer support for my product is a big issue.  Guess there will be a flood of new Fire Stick owners. I am starting my research today on which stick to get.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Lesacorral @marshx

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

You say the same thing every time and it has absolutely nothing to do with your issue.  Hundreds of people have this issue and ROKU had done nothing to solve,  I'm going 5-6 months with same issue and sent it to you months ago and then another ROKU employee ask to do the same thing and both of you did nothing.  Last week it worked for 2 straight days. next day my wireless network isn't even listed.   3 hours later my wireless network is now listed.  Now it says you're not connected to the wireless network, but all of my other devices are connected.  Then it can't connect to the internet, but my other devices can.  I have changed the channel and it's the same problem.  How do stay in business not caring about hundreds and hundreds of customers having the same problem?  I guess the answer is throw away all your ROKU devices and get an Amazon fire stick.

Barb47
Streaming Star

Buy an Amazon fire stick...they seem to work and ROKU doesn't give a ....

PLavo

I agree.  Their "support" is lacking.  I wrote to them, and explained my problem.  They wrote back and told me to restart everything, which I had already done, then they asked several questions -- serial number, distance from router, etc.  I wrote back and gave them the information, but I said I didn't think it was an issue with the location of my router, because I've had the devices for several years, and this problem just started a few weeks ago.  I came right out and asked if the devices are too old and should I get new ones.  They answered that it's a connectivity problem and they can't help me.  Really?!!  I too have the Roku Express.  It seems everyone here has that product, so I wonder if that's the problem.  Maybe they want us to ditch the Express and upgrade!

0 Kudos
eah1635
Reel Rookie

My wifi connection has been going in and out since Friday. I reset all of the rokus back to factory and nothing works but Netflix. The update broke something and it needs to be fixed immediately!

0 Kudos
eah1635
Reel Rookie

Just got off the phone with Xfinity. They made the changes to modem. But it didn't solve the problem. They say that its not a Xfinity problem. Its a Roku problem since the update. I can use Netflix but no other apps. Roku needs to fix this now!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

I threw my old device out and got a new one...nothing.  Ditch ROKU and try a Amazon Firestick.  I have seen some comments that they seem to be working.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

You will need to provide more specific information for us to assist you further. Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos