Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ahech59
Channel Surfer

Re: Cannot connect to Internet

That smiley face is actually a “D”…..

ThomD
Reel Rookie

Let me know if that works for it you.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Ahech59 

Ok, but you did not provide your router model number or ISP, so cannot rule out connection issues with Asus routers that will be addressed in a future Roku OS build.

Additionally, am assuming internet MAC address of 00.:00:00.... is really an IP address of 0.0.0.0. (This simply means the DHCP server of your router hasn't yet connected to your Roku device.)  Further assuming this is a home network environment.

These are the steps you need to verify/check/perform (no matter how many times you have already done them.)

1. Restart both your Router (and any peripherals/extenders, etc) and your Roku device.

2. Adjust your Router settings to these default settings.  (Wireless Settings)

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes.

Additionally, under any Wireless Security Settings, verify using WPA2-PSK with AES encryption. (This is a password authentication standard).

3. Try changing the wifi-password to a simpler one that includes no special characters (#, %, !, etc) or use no password (open network) for testing.  For Asus users, creating a guest network will often allow the Roku device to connect. (For some, passwords can be used on the guest, for others, it must remain open/no password guest network).  Using no password or creating a guest network are two things to try to see if a password issue/authentication issue is reason for the inability to connect.

4. If the above has all been performed and still not connecting, perform the Factory Restart of the Roku device. (press and hold reset button for 30+ seconds).

------

These are the initial things you have to check.  Just pay attention to the different settings carefully since alot of things look similar within a router.

Feel free to post back with an update with the above requested and verify if/where you are seeing an internet MAC address of all 0's.  Also, when trying to connect to your wifi, what error message numbers are you seeing on the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Ahech59
Channel Surfer

Went home after work thinking I’d be up all night again working on the Ruko. Turned on the device and lord and behold, it was working like a charm. Big smile on my face not knowing what the heck I did the night before. Anyways I enjoyed some entertainments. Guess the device updated or something miraculous happened after all it’s close to Easter. Leaving a glass of water out maybe I’ll have some wine when I get home to watch my Ruko. Thanks amen.

0 Kudos
Kyler1027

Can’t connect to internet 

0 Kudos
Ahech59
Channel Surfer

Best thing to do is contact your internet provider. I got Xfinity. They were able to update my router to work with connecting the Ruko TV.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Kyler1027,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.
If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet | Official Roku Support
Furthermore, if the affected device is a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that both devices are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.
Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos